Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Marc77
    Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi guys, just got me a tig welder and am looking to start tig welding. One question tho.

My space is a relatively small studio with a painted metal floor. Is this floor a conductivity hazard? My table has rubber feet and I will be wearing rubber boots.

Should I invest in a rubber mat? Here's a photo of my setup.

-- Marc
20210515_215314.jpg
20210515_215314.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You don't need all that "insulation" from the welding. The part you are welding should have the ground clamp attached to it, then your torch is the "other end of the circuit". In the case of TIG, the ground is the + polarity side and the torch/arc is the - polarity side of the equation.

Whether your work surface is conductive is a consideration. If it is, and the frame and top are metal, you can clamp to the table then anything metal laying on it can be welded. It is very convenient to do it this way.

Ditch the rubber boots. You won't get electrocuted by you "could" get hot grinding sparks or drips of molten metal burning right through those ;) Leather footwear is recommended when welding.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Most TIG and MIG welding systems operate at voltage levels that are low enough to not be a major concern when it comes to electrocution hazards...at least in my opinion, other's opinions may vary. Sometimes you may feel a little tingle when running high freq. if you get some skin on the table or the part or have wet gloves, etc....but not really a big deal. Shouldn't have exposed skin anyway! :lol:

And for what it's worth, and I'm really not joking here: IMO, the greatest risk/hazard when TIG welding is sticking yourself in the eye with the back end of the filler as you move it around. So don't overthink it.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i would be more concerned about the mains power coming in contact with the floor and especially through you.
ie plugs, broken leads etc. plus it might be best to have a floor where welding crap doesn't stick to it.
tweak it until it breaks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have been inside many a tank and boiler that I was welding on. Never thought twice about it. Besides high freq will get you in the dirt as easy as anywhere else.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

My weld area for smaller items is a old reefer trailer box with a aluminium floor.

I've yet to get a big shock from it even with wet boots (80% of the shop is constantly wet that I am through) however I have got many a tingle from the high frequency as others have mentioned.

Kinda spooks yah cause you always assume the big Shock is coming after the tingle..

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

DON'T wear rubber boots ... there is hot stuff being evident while welding and that stuff will melt thru the rubber boot. Get some good leather boots...that's why welders wear leather gloves and aprons/sleeves etc. The electricity will let you know when things arent right. Kinda like your bare arm touching the table while holding the filler rod .... WHERETHEHELLDIDITHATFILLERRODGO ????
Have fun with your endeavor, but get some decent boots and tig gloves.
walz10
    Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 pm

I wouldn’t be worried about a metal floor. The mentions of catching a little high freq gave me a little smile though. It’ll wake you up. Especially when you’re just sitting there thinking about something else while waiting for something to cool off or whatever not thinking that you still have your foot on the pedal and inadvertently give her a little bump. Hahahaha. If I’ve done it one I’ve done it a hundred times. If you don’t know what I mean you probably will some day. I wonder if that would mess up a pacemaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marc77
    Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! I tried it and I am definitely not electrocuted so that's good. When I said rubber boots, I meant to say leather boots with the typical rubber/plastic polymer soles eg like your standard work boots.