Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I mentioned this before and showed some pics, but I decided to show more in-depth how one can make their own "sorta" gas lens for their standard TIG torch consumables. This will work for pretty much any torch and any collet body system because it is secured to the TIG cup/nozzle. Note: This made by a hobbyist, for hobbyists. :)

RIGHT CLICK ► VIEW IMAGE or OPEN IN NEW TAB

As you can imagine, you can make any size TIG cup/nozzle into a gas lens like this. And yes, it works. You can extend your tungsten more than just using standard consumables.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Been wondering what your process was for making those. Thanks for sharing that. I may give it a go and try my hand at making some.

Spartan wrote:Been wondering what your process was for making those. Thanks for sharing that. I may give it a go and try my hand at making some.
If you have 023 MIG wire, I think that would perhaps works a teensy weensy bit better for small cups like #5-#7. It won't have as much spring-back as 030 wire, but I think it would provide less of a presence inside the cup for even more laminar flow. I had actually planned to make a video out of it, but my personal laptop where I have my video editing software went kaput. $1500 Asus G752VL blew the motherboard completely. How I don't know. I just know I have to replace it (the mother board) because I had bought a Samsung VNAND 970 Pro SSD for it that I can't have just sitting around. For now I have my work laptop, but I don't have administrative rights to install software, and our IT is on vacation for the summer like the teachers.

Anyhow, the best part about this is if you run into some junk steel or a sudden breeze/draft outdoors and some major porosity spits molten metal back up into the TIG cup, you don't have to worry about throwing an expensive gas lens collet body into the trash. Just disassemble: pull out the outer retaining ring with a pick tool, pick and throw out the outer SS mesh screen that has been compromised, and replace just that one. :)

And as a side-note, the bossman has approved for me to order ceramic resins for our Formlabs Form2 3-D printer at work. Hello custom-made TIG cups. ;)

Thanks for the detailed instructions Oscar
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:Thanks for the detailed instructions Oscar
No problem! I'm here to help! :D
Spartan

Oscar wrote:
Spartan wrote:Been wondering what your process was for making those. Thanks for sharing that. I may give it a go and try my hand at making some.
If you have 023 MIG wire, I think that would perhaps works a teensy weensy bit better for small cups like #5-#7. It won't have as much spring-back as 030 wire, but I think it would provide less of a presence inside the cup for even more laminar flow. I had actually planned to make a video out of it, but my personal laptop where I have my video editing software went kaput. $1500 Asus G752VL blew the motherboard completely. How I don't know. I just know I have to replace it (the mother board) because I had bought a Samsung VNAND 970 Pro SSD for it that I can't have just sitting around. For now I have my work laptop, but I don't have administrative rights to install software, and our IT is on vacation for the summer like the teachers.

Anyhow, the best part about this is if you run into some junk steel or a sudden breeze/draft outdoors and some major porosity spits molten metal back up into the TIG cup, you don't have to worry about throwing an expensive gas lens collet body into the trash. Just disassemble: pull out the outer retaining ring with a pick tool, pick and throw out the outer SS mesh screen that has been compromised, and replace just that one. :)

And as a side-note, the bossman has approved for me to order ceramic resins for our Formlabs Form2 3-D printer at work. Hello custom-made TIG cups. ;)
Thanks for the info. And looking forward to seeing those 3D printed cups!

Spartan wrote: Thanks for the info. And looking forward to seeing those 3D printed cups!
I want one with my initials on the side... :lol:
Richard
Website
Spartan

LtBadd wrote:
Spartan wrote: Thanks for the info. And looking forward to seeing those 3D printed cups!
I want one with my initials on the side... :lol:
Me too! Oscar, are you taking pre-orders yet???

Let me actually get the ceramic resin and make ONE tig cup first! :lol:
Spartan

Oscar wrote:Let me actually get the ceramic resin and make ONE tig cup first! :lol:
I guess that's fair :D

First 3 people to reply after this post, I will make you one gas-lens setup (two rings + three SS wire mesh screens) free of charge for your specified TIG cup size (from #5 up to #12) and your specified tungsten diameter (0.040", 1/16", 3/32", 1/8"). Just pay actual shipping and you must post pictures after having used it on a practice bead or welded on a project.
Last edited by Oscar on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan

First :D

And Thanks!

Edit: #8 in 3/32, please. I can paypal you the shipping cost if you PM your email...or can send shipping cost any other way you would like. Thanks again.

Spartan wrote:First :D

And Thanks!

Edit: #8 in 3/32, please. I can paypal you the shipping cost if you PM your email...or can send shipping cost any other way you would like. Thanks again.
Done. That will be 50 cents to cover the cost of the stamp. :D
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Ill take one like spartan...#8 with a 3/32.
pm me your addy and direction how to post pics... :lol:

I'm in, series 2 torch cup size #12 and 3/32" tungsten

Thanks Oscar!

can I get a blue one in RGB 36, 127, 255? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website

BillE.Dee wrote: and direction how to post pics... :lol:
You're on your own there...lol. There's soooo many ways to host and upload pics......
Last edited by Oscar on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

LtBadd wrote:I'm in, series 2 torch cup size #12 and 3/32" tungsten

Thanks Oscar!

can I get a blue one in RGB 36, 127, 255? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you're confused. I'm not sending out any TIG cups, lol. Besides, I've never seen a #12 for a 2-series, which is the WP9/20, right? The largest I've seen is #10. They do make standard #12's for WP17/18/26 though.

Ok I reread your post, I'll leave the 3rd spot open for someone else, thanks for the generous offer. I guess I had you're printing tig cups on my mind ;)
Richard
Website
BillE.Dee

gotta watch those fumes from the attic... :shock:

BillE.Dee wrote:gotta watch those fumes from the attic... :shock:
Who me? nah! :lol: I wear a 3M 6503 respirator with 2297 filters all the time, and I have that fan going clearing fumes!

Bill, In this day and age, you can surely find someone who can help you post pictures from your phone. It doesn't matter if you are one to post them here, just as long as you can get someone to help you post them, then you'd be set!. :)
BillE.Dee

6 year old granddaughter will be here today ... gramps has plans !! :roll:

BillE.Dee wrote:6 year old granddaughter will be here today ... gramps has plans !! :roll:
If she can post a pic here from your phone, I'd be impressed. As good as they are with electronics, forums might not be their strong suit, but let's hope.

Soooo much easier than punching out my own screens from a large sheet with hand tools! :D

Spartan

Might be something to give Furick and CK a run for their money.

Spartan wrote:Might be something to give Furick and CK a run for their money.
Doubt it. Those collet bodies & cups are "plug and play". I doubt welders want to be fidgeting with screens and rings then they can just slip/thread-on an already made gas lens & cup.