Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jhrusk
    Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Can I use aluminum bronze to weld steel axle tubes to a cast iron center section or is there a better rod for this(strength wise).Thanks
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

The Aluminum Bronze A2 is a good filler for this application but it would best to not be a novice and try this. Heat control is critical. A2 has a tendancy to be "hot short". And for this application, it sounds as though someone could get hurt if not done properly.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey try searchin the forums, I think I remember a thread about this about 3-4 months back in the mig forums. Good luck

edit-Did the hard work for ya-
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=6&t=1259
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
jhrusk

Thanks for the replies,I am new to the site.I tried a search before posting but could not find anything,probably did not do it correctly.I would think welding this a little at a time would be the best bet to keep the heat input down.I am open to suggestions and thanks again.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That center section will be cast steel, not cast iron. Big difference in carbon content.

I've had good success using preheat and 308/309 as fillers. My best guess is the carbon from the cast infiltrates the filler, but with 308 the carbon content doesn't reach the point where the weld is hard enough to crack.

This is not my specialty, so I suggest waiting for or seeking better advice. A lot of people do this every day. Look at the articles on powerblock.com. They probably discuss this, though I frown on some of their welding methods.

Steve
jhrusk

Thanks for the reply Steve.I too questioned if it was cast steel or cast iron.most people said to do a spark test.When I was prepping the rearend I had to clean some brackets off of it so I was grinding on it and then I would grind on the center section to see if there was a difference in the sparks.There was definitely a difference,the steel tubes would throw long bright yellowish sparks while the center section had minimal reddish sparks and were short.This led me to believe it was cast iron and not cast steel.I am welcome to suggestions.Thanks,James
turbo388
    Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm

This isn't as critical as some seem to think, the tubes are pressed in (tight!!) and plug welded from the factory, and with big HP sometimes the diff housing can break the plug welds and rotate on the axle tubes. When that happens yes the axle is junk, but nothing falls out onto the ground or anything like that. Welding the tubes just stops it from twisting. Also, being a press fit with no sealant it's common to have slight leakage/weeping and welding the tubes stops that.

DCEN with 70S2/S6 or 309 will work fine. Or even stick with 7018.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

If the housing is cast steel, then you don't have to worry. It should be an easy weld. But, according to the sparks you said that were coming off of it, it doesn't sound like steel. If it is a cast iron and you weld it like it was steel, you will definitely have problems. I would definitely make sure what it is you are welding and not just guess and start slammin' weld to it. It could definitely ruin your day. Don't get me wrong about this, this is a good site with a lot of knowledgeable people on it, but there are also a lot who will just throw stuff out there to answer a question. When it comes to metal identification, I would not leave it up to a couple of guesses from a website. Others may not take this stuff seriously, but I do. There is always the potential to cause great loss when giving advice whether it is in time, money, or injury. And I am not singling out any particular response on this post, so don't take offense . :)
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
turbo388

No offense taken ;) , and I'd definitely agree with assessing this with an overabundance of caution IF it were a new build-up from scratch, or totally replacing the factory tubes in the original cast diff housing (it happens, but rarely and the people who dive into those sorts of things tend to know what they're doing). Even shortening the axle tubes and/or swapping to a different style bearing flange requires a centering jig & fixtures not common with DIY types.

If the new weld between the original tubes and original diff housing fails, it'll fail in the same manner as if it'd never had the new weld in the first place.
jhrusk

Thanks everyone for the replies,well after much searching and deciding how I was going to go about this,I made the decision to go with a high nickel rod.I got a stick rod and removed the flux and cleaned it very well.I used my tig to weld the rearend and I skipped around a little,it welded very nice and I tried to keep the heat input down.After it cooled I checked it with an alignment bar and fortunately everything stayed in line.The rods were $16 for four rods but given the results they were worth it.Thanks everyone.
TheExpert

Aluminum bronzes are most valued for their higher strength and corrosion resistance as compared to other bronze alloys. So this is good one.
turbo388

TheExpert wrote:Aluminum bronzes are most valued for their higher strength and corrosion resistance as compared to other bronze alloys. So this is good one.
Will somebody give this spambot the boot already?!