Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Just like the title says has anyone ever burnt up one Jody's tig fingers?

Was welding a oil cooler today 3/8-3/8ish @ around 325 amps(least what the machine was set at don't think I was full all the time)

Anyways I get all done and looked at my tig finger and it had a hole melted into it.

Just curious if this happens or I just abused it and pushed it past it's limits.ImageImage

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

You definitely abused it, or perhaps pushed it to the limits, well done (pun intended) :lol:
Richard
Website
Toggatug

Hahahah well I think the best part is I didn't even feel he heat the whole time. I only noticed once I was all done the last pass and put the finger down on the table.

Did about 8 feet of welding or so straight on this cooler. Only pauses were for either grabbing a new rod or flipping to weld the other side out.

So for anyone on the fence about getting a tig finger....just do it it's money well spent that you won't regret.

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Imagine if you didn’t have it... :o You would be posting a picture of a hole in your flesh and showing us your bones instead.
Toggatug

Aye that's for sure. I've definitely cooked my hands doing mig a few times. And Even Tig before I got the xl fingers. Usually I dont notice till a hour or so later (hands are very used to heat from grabbing hot rad parts for years.)

I still find it insane the amount of heat the tig arc puts off compared to a oxy/acet torch or my natural gas torches I use at work for soldering radiators or brazing/silvering tanks etc.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Toggatug wrote:Just like the title says has anyone ever burnt up one Jody's tig fingers?

Was welding a oil cooler today 3/8-3/8ish @ around 325 amps(least what the machine was set at don't think I was full all the time)

Anyways I get all done and looked at my tig finger and it had a hole melted into it.

Just curious if this happens or I just abused it and pushed it past it's limits.ImageImage

Haven’t burnt one through but they work awesome for making cages for oil drill bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rjr8009
    Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Those things are ridiculously difficulty to put on correctly. I have never been able to figure it out, so I just wrap it around my hand like a caveman and it definitely burns up
Find 3 hobbies: 1 to make you money, 1 to keep you in shape and 1 to keep you creative

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't
Toggatug

rjr8009 wrote:Those things are ridiculously difficulty to put on correctly. I have never been able to figure it out, so I just wrap it around my hand like a caveman and it definitely burns up
I don't know I've never had a problem with them. Always just held it with my one hand and shoved some fingers in with the doubled up part facing where the metal is going to be once my hand is where it needs to be.

I can fit 3 fingers in the XL which is snug and do whatever with it. Or two fingers in it curled up to make a heat shield for the rest of my hand which is actually how I burned to hole in it during a 24" pass

discap
    Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 am

I haven't melted one but I have caught all of them on fire. I know they "don't burn" but they really do and they get hot. I have 3 or 4 and they all do it. I let this one burn itself out.
Attachments
TIG Finger.jpg
TIG Finger.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Toggatug

discap wrote:I haven't melted one but I have caught all of them on fire. I know they "don't burn" but they really do and they get hot. I have 3 or 4 and they all do it. I let this one burn itself out.
Hah first I've seen glass burn. More than likely it's the grease on the tig finger burning but I'm just guessing.

Least I'm pretty sure they're made out of fibreglass of some sort. The way mine melted in transparent glass like material reminds me of our fibreglass mat we use to wrap fuel tanks.

When it 'burns' it just gums up and turns to a molten puddle then solidfies into glass more or less.

On that note does anyone know what the tig fingers are made of? Or is that like I'm thinking And it's a closely guarded secret?

Toggatug

discap wrote:I haven't melted one but I have caught all of them on fire. I know they "don't burn" but they really do and they get hot. I have 3 or 4 and they all do it. I let this one burn itself out.
Hah first I've seen glass burn. More than likely it's the grease on the tig finger burning but I'm just guessing.

Least I'm pretty sure they're made out of fibreglass of some sort. The way mine melted in transparent glass like material reminds me of our fibreglass mat we use to wrap fuel tanks.

When it 'burns' it just gums up and turns to a molten puddle then solidfies into glass more or less.

On that note does anyone know what the tig fingers are made of? Or is that like I'm thinking And it's a closely guarded secret?

Toggatug wrote: On that note does anyone know what the tig fingers are made of? Or is that like I'm thinking And it's a closely guarded secret?

No, its commercially available material, after all he buy it and makes the TIG finger, he doesn't produce it.
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Reminds me of the stuff you see high end fire blankets made from. But woven into a cylinder instead of being flat.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Toggatug

Interesting, thanks for the links.

Now to get my hands on some and ask the wife to sow it onto the backside of my tig gloves so I stop cooking my hands.

Or maybe just wrapping my hand up is the route to go, probably use a couple tensor bandage clips to hold it in place.

If I ever get around to doing either of those I'll let you guys know if it works or if I'm just in dream land

Poland308

I would buy a tig mitten

Josh
Toggatug

Poland308 wrote:I would buy a tig mitten
Okay you got me curious. Is this a real thing? If so where do I get my hands on it?

Thanks in advance

Poland308

I’d pay 60 us and it wouldn’t need a thumb.

Josh

Toggatug wrote:
Poland308 wrote:I would buy a tig mitten
Okay you got me curious. Is this a real thing? If so where do I get my hands on it?

Thanks in advance

YOU would buy the material and make it, then it would be real
Richard
Website
Toggatug

Oh my Lord my bad I got read that wrong and got excited thinking you said "just buy a tig mitten".

Completely missed the I would buy part ahahaha.

Hmm perhaps a new a business venture for the wife then. She is talking about wanting to work from home and all