Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bobw
    Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 am

I have been following on YouTube, ABOM79's construction of the back purge fixture for Jody.
I was wondering if the plans are available, so others can machine one for themselves
Thank You

I haven't seen the video. but I did go look at the screen shot, this is a typical fixture for test coupons. I first used one in the late 80's.
I am not aware of any prints, however you should be able to come up with your own by watching the video, or maybe someone else will post a drawing.
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I’m certain Abom would shoot you a copy if you really want one. He surely made an enormous project out of it. From a welding perspective, it’s far more accurately machined than it ever needs to be. He did a really beautiful job on it and I immensely respect his level of skill and craftsmanship and care to make it so “perfect”.

I do question whether the brass gas tube is technically required. Given that Argon is heavier than air, I would suspect the milled pocket would fill equally and the volume of Argon would rise equally while under inbound pressure, negating the perforated tube. My suspicion.

Badd - you should check out the entire 6 videos to see the thing being made. Very enjoyable stuff. Abom79 is one of the worlds great contributions of character and heart. Little wonder he and Jody became fast friends. Two peas in a pod :)
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Bobw wrote:I have been following on YouTube, ABOM79's construction of the back purge fixture for Jody.
I was wondering if the plans are available, so others can machine one for themselves
Thank You
Yes! Every chip. Thinking of building one myself.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

cj737 wrote:I’m certain Abom would shoot you a copy if you really want one.
Really? I'd like to know if someone requests, and gets it.
cj737 wrote: He surely made an enormous project out of it.
That was one of my 1st thoughts just seeing the length of the video.
cj737 wrote:I do question whether the brass gas tube is technically required.
Yea, as long as the argon flows you're good, I usually use copper, but brass is good too.
cj737 wrote:Badd - you should check out the entire 6 videos to see the thing being made. Very enjoyable stuff. Abom79 is one of the worlds great contributions of character and heart. Little wonder he and Jody became fast friends. Two peas in a pod :)
I'll put it on my list
Richard
Website

Having watched the 1st video, he goes over the prints real well within the fist 5 minutes, should be everything you need to make one.
The one I used wasn't that thick (3"), but that dimension really isn't very important IMO
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

LtBadd wrote:Having watched the 1st video, he goes over the prints real well within the fist 5 minutes, should be everything you need to make one.
The one I used wasn't that thick (3"), but that dimension really isn't very important IMO
My thoughts exactly. Could be a much “thinner” piece and still produce perfect results. Heck, it’s only for “test” and “qualification” purposes anyway. Not like you need to stuff a 24x4x48 I beam in there ;)