Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
n3nman
    Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm

New to TIG welding and I have a good bit of scrap aircraft grade material (4130 and 7075-T6) but would like to get a good bit of 5052 or 3003 plus some mild steel for practise. Local in Atlanta. Anyone reasonable in the area. Already called a couple of "Steel" places without much luck. Someone needs to "sell" a coupon kit for beginners. Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You can often get decent deals on some drop from larger Steel Suppliers. Or, you might find a local Metal Supermarket branch near you. They too have small stuff. They’re franchises, so if you introduce yourself to the owner, make a deal to pick up their scrap, weld on it, then return it to them for salvage, it’s a win-win. You get practice material, they get it back weighing more!
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Go to your local community college that teaches welding and asked them where they get their steel. Many will give you some coupons to weld with. While you're there, check-out their night courses.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Pricey, but Lincoln welding, www.JFLF.org has coupons for sale, at that address, "project kits" at the top of the page.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
    Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Also you can search eBay for that too. Lots of drops and stuff on there. I’ve seen pretty much everything you have been asking about in a simple search on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

My local steel supplier has cut offs from larger orders, for $0.65/lb for steel and $2.25/lb aluminum I check them out the about once a month and basically pick up their leftovers.

HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0

koenbro wrote:My local steel supplier has cut offs from larger orders, for $0.65/lb for steel and $2.25/lb aluminum I check them out the about once a month and basically pick up their leftovers.

Those are good prices
Richard
Website
ROBERTINCREST
    Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 am

I think I'm going to try and find a shop or mfg that uses the steel or aluminum that I want to practice on.
They all have scrap bins that they recycle. maybe I can borrow some of their scrap to practice on and then return it to them before they recycle it.
Robert
cgaengineer
    Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 pm

n3nman wrote:New to TIG welding and I have a good bit of scrap aircraft grade material (4130 and 7075-T6) but would like to get a good bit of 5052 or 3003 plus some mild steel for practise. Local in Atlanta. Anyone reasonable in the area. Already called a couple of "Steel" places without much luck. Someone needs to "sell" a coupon kit for beginners. Thanks
Try welding/fab shops...even here in Winder, GA we have many nearby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

n3nman wrote:New to TIG welding and I have a good bit of scrap aircraft grade material (4130 and 7075-T6) but would like to get a good bit of 5052 or 3003 plus some mild steel for practise. Local in Atlanta. Anyone reasonable in the area. Already called a couple of "Steel" places without much luck. Someone needs to "sell" a coupon kit for beginners. Thanks
Go to weldmetalsonline.com, they all kinds of coupons and kits to practice with.