Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Panchdara
    Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 am

Can anyone explain the differences between these electrodes? I really don't see a price difference, but why have multiple lanthanated concentrated tungsten?

Regards
Hugh

Hello Hugh
The 2% is supposed to hold up better, in AC and DC and it's the only % I use. I haven't looked at pricing differences, and haven't ever seen 1%, at least the few places I shop.
Richard
Website
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

According to the Diamond Ground website
https://www.diamondground.com/tungsten- ... /#choosing
"A 2% Lanthanated tungsten will arc start more easily than a 1% Lanthanated tungsten (assuming they were made using the same manufacturing process)."

Jody C did a comparison of tungsten types and found 2% Lanthanated tungsten works well for both AC and DC welding, and uses it as his go-to electrode. For a newbie or hobbyist it means you can keep just one type of tungsten in your inventory. Nothing wrong with other types of electrodes; the 2% Lanth works well in many circumstances.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tun ... rodes.html
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Panchdara
    Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks very much Dave & Richard. I did find the DGP Tungsten Guide. I do use 2% but was curious as to why there would be a 1% and 1.5% and what would be advantages/disadvantages on specific materials. A quick look thru eBay and the pricing between each are identical (per seller).

Best regards
Hugh
    Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm

I've noticed that 2% seems to be more durable in that it retains a point better than anything else I've tried. And there seems to be a noticeable difference between that and 1.5% in that regard.

Of course you're going to see a bigger difference on AC rather than DC
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Dear friends does anyone has tried to use RED tungsten in AC tig welding in an Inverter machine and was pleased to see that it works well

ESENTI wrote:Dear friends does anyone has tried to use RED tungsten in AC tig welding in an Inverter machine and was pleased to see that it works well
Yes and no. While you can weld with it, the tungsten will loose its shape, depending on how hard you're pushing the diameter (of the tung.) vs amperage.
Richard
Website
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I've tried numerous alloys. Pure doesn't work well on AC, with square wave, or DC. Aside from that, they all work OK. If you haven't had a filler, or puddle contact accident in a year or more, you need to research best tungsten. For those of us who don't work on Fifth Street, (I doubt he has ever dipped), near any tungsten is fine. Thoriated is dirt cheap, being out of fashion, It is arguably best. It contains minute levels of radioactive material. Next best is 2% lanthanated. A few dozen companies sell tri mix. They work too.

If you don't dip so you have to regrind, the tungsten will deform on the point. I believe thoriated does so slowest, lanthanated is next, all the others are good enough to have experts who use nothing else. There is little enough difference to not worry about it. Use what you got, If necessary change more often.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

ESENTI wrote:Dear friends does anyone has tried to use RED tungsten in AC tig welding in an Inverter machine and was pleased to see that it works well
I have jars of it. I prefer it. I buy Thoriated 'cause NOS is cheap. If I buy new, (not much) I buy 2% thoriated.

Willie
ESENTI

it worths saying to use in small items of aluminum red tungsten 2%thoriated , 1.6mm diameter to the amperes that will possible stand like 60 t0 70 it works almost perfect ...
ESENTI

This is an idea of what it will be like to use a stiff red tungsten and 1.6 diameter and 160 Hz it will help when you have to do something like this or similar
Attachments
P1010086.jpg
P1010086.jpg (43.87 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
ESENTI

This is the gear box of a jeep , I used 3.2 lanthanated and the notes are like this , the tungsten does not ball when AC cleaning
is low and it splits at the tip.When cleaning is adequate then it balls. any ideas? The amperage was 170 A .
Attachments
Photo0121.jpg
Photo0121.jpg (121.36 KiB) Viewed 4197 times