Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Can some of you experts take a look at this video and comment on the pulsing frequency?

https://youtu.be/uPDBWjl6PBI

I think he's welding thin gauge titanium.

He has a bunch of pics on instagram that are amazing.

Just wondering about the rather slow rate of pulsing and if it meant anything.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm not an expert, but I use pulse a lot. He's using a frequency that makes my brain shutdown. I use pulse at 1 or 2pps to help me control the heat when welding thin material and to give me a sense of timing for dipping evenly. My machine only goes up to 20pps, but I've used machines with much higher pulse frequencies and other than the screeching noise from the inverter, I can't say the pulsing helped or hurt anything I was doing.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch

I don't think there's any secret here, most use either a very slow pulse (1-3 PPS) or over 20, in between these it seems the flashing arc can be very disorienting, yet some hate the whine of higher pulse ranges.

Pulsing can help with reducing heat input and to provide a stable arc, and a better looking weld. There's such a wide range of possible pulse settings, and with the uniqueness of the weld joint, experience helps in deciding what settings to use.

I don't believe that (typically) there is just one possible set (of pulse settings) that will work for a given weld joint, and if you aren't using that setting you'll mess up.
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Some people practice their timing with pulse. I don't use pulse often but when I do I like it over 50 PPS. Less than that drives me nuts.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

comment? annoying
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Yeah. that's what I thought. Maybe his pulser only goes up that high?

I'm getting ready to weld up a pie cut motorcycle exhaust and was researching what weld settings might help.

I think I'll pulse but at the 150-200pps range. Fit up is good for the most part but I just feel more comfortable adding filler to help the overall strength. It's only 18g mild steel and I'd rather it not thin out too much and crack after a few miles.

Soooo want that HTP welder...
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

That's right about stopping your brain. That's about the right frequency to give an epileptic a bad day.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

maybe the guy is an ex-tailgunner.....
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

That would drive me nuts, I use a lot of 2.5pps and I've used 500 at times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB