Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

Looking to see if any weld mongers have experience with Alumasteel tig rods. Do they make strong welds? Could not find a video of Jodi trying them out. :?:
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Probably because it looks like a brazing rod like Silicon Bronze or Aluminum Bronze.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Oscar wrote:Probably because it looks like a brazing rod like Silicon Bronze or Aluminum Bronze.

Website material claims (I know, I know...) that it is welding rather than brazing. Goes on to state that the technique must not be used for critical/load bearing welds.

Interesting technique used. Two different rods, a Rod 1 and Rod 2, used in sequence. For a T-joint, first lay down a bead on the base plate of steel using Rod 1, then lay a second bead over the first and up onto the aluminium using Rod 2.

Unusual.

Kym
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

Could the 1st rod be for strength and the 2nd for corrosion resistance?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Harry72 wrote:Could the 1st rod be for strength and the 2nd for corrosion resistance?
It's simply some kind of brazing. Have you seen those "MSDS" sheets? I could make those in Adobe. Just look/listen to the terminology he uses. Ridiculous.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

If it was as great as the manufacturer says it is then it would have taken the welding world by storm. As it is now, not so much. Another pet rock IMO.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.