Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Silly question I guess. Does a water cooled handpiece have an effect on the weld? Or for user comfort, and perhaps preserving the tungsten a bit?
I've never seen this addressed, only referred to. (Don't end sentences with a participle, I only did it here for dramatic effect)

Thanks!
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Cools torch down which allows smaller torches to handle a higher amperage then an air cooled torch of same size. For example a CK 20 water cooled and CK 9 air cooled are the same size but CK 20 is rated for 250 amps and CK 9 is rated for 125. Also water cooling keeps torch cooler to the touch, a CK 9 at 125 amps gets hot really hot quick. While the CK 20 stays at a comfortable temperature to hold onto it depending on cooler too. Makes it a lot easier for long constant runs on hands. If you don't turn on the cooler on a water cooled torch you will burn it up also quick.
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

nelson wrote:Silly question I guess. Does a water cooled handpiece have an effect on the weld? Or for user comfort, and perhaps preserving the tungsten a bit?
I've never seen this addressed, only referred to. (Don't end sentences with a participle, I only did it here for dramatic effect)

Thanks!
Water cooling has no effect on the end result. It only keeps the torch and your hand cooler. There's also very little trade-off in weight. In fact, it's my impression that a water-cooled torch is lighter in the hand, as the circulating water in small lines weighs less than all the copper needed for an air-cooled torch of the same capacity. (The power lead in a water-cooled torch is INSIDE the return line, so is water-cooled itself. Where you might need 1-gauge cable for an air-cooled torch, the power comes through a 10-gauge wire inside a water-jacket.)

Steve S
nelson

Thanks! That's good to know.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Yeah about that not welding with a water cooled torch when the cooler is not turned on...

Did you know the non-conductive coolant use in the machine smokes up like a mother when you weld with the cooler off...

Took 20 minutes for the smoke to clear in my garage...and I go the pleasure of buying a new torch.

:lol:
nelson

How long did you weld without coolant?

nelson wrote:How long did you weld without coolant?
I'll bet it wasn't very long...water cooled torches don't work well as an air cooled torch :(
Richard
Website
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

my first TIG machine was an old Goldstar (circa 1950)
and i had to turn the chiller on with a separate switch.
never burned up a torch but fired a few hoses.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

nelson wrote:How long did you weld without coolant?

Maybe 30 seconds...by then I was smokin...
nelson

I'm new at this. Forget to plug the gas in once. Took me 4 strikes and a few minutes to catch on.

I guess it's good I don't have water to goof up. I have plenty that I can screw up.
EricVonSplatterlot
    Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:58 am

So speaking of water cooled...I'm currently running a Lincoln Power Mig MP 210 with a stubby 17 style and thinking of upgrading to a water cooled. Any suggestions? Maybe one that would accept the 17 accessories or would I have to purchase all new?

Thanks,
Eric