Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

@bgh
Looks to me like your already pretty much got the hang of it. Nice.
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

That's pretty nice, especially for a first try.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
therbrig
    Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Looks good Trackranger
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Thanks. I'm going to cut some up and see if I got good penetration. I've got some more tacked up and I'm going to practice some more before I try applying it to a real job.
Freddie
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Not really a weld, but BoostedGT from the show Street Outlaws signed my peg leg at the drag strip today. Dude was cool as hell to chat with, but the look on his face when I just casually asked if he would sign me leg was priceless! He said it was definitely a first for him, to which I responded this was a first for me too. The crowd of people lost it laughing.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

That is awesome!
I watch that show religiously.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Had to repair a product dumper today, the upper pin mounts for the hyd cylinders were shot.
Attachments
All welded up
All welded up
IMG_20150726_172556017.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
Tacked in
Tacked in
IMG_20150726_172617630.jpg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
Simple fixture I made, clamped new mounts in place
Simple fixture I made, clamped new mounts in place
IMG_20150726_163613829.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
Old mounts removed to reveal the factory slot
Old mounts removed to reveal the factory slot
IMG_20150726_160018069.jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Nice, very neat repair Rick!
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
TamJeff

Nice repair. I think I would rather repair things than scratch build large projects. It's that whole ever looming budget thing that just makes it stressful sometimes. Especially since industry has been taken over by the service sector and it's way too many forks in the pie.

It really hadn't occurred to me just how parasitic industry had become, until I watched someone try to promote a product, and then try and profit from it. He may have gotten to keep 5%, so, unless you are a lawyer, or born with bucks and that entire network of sales/distributor schlubs. . . .and not to mention how loopholed, useless and expensive the patent process has become.

Anyway. . . .enough griping. This is what I got to build. The jig is up. Any time you build a trapped jig, you have to build draft into it so that you can actually remove your parts afterwards. You might be surprised on how many people don't know that.
And, as I was making the patterns and test pieces (we have a new Ercolina bender to play with) they were having to be used as product before I could even make my parts layout boards. Nor have I been able to clean my mess. This thing is supposed to have legs and wheels at a comfortable and accessible height at some point instead of on my fab table using welders yoga to weld and see all the joints.

It has some machined, billet (kinda chunky at that) parts as well. And people wonder why I just use a on/off button and keep the machine pegged at 250 all the time.

Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Nice work as always Jeff, so what exactly does the jig produce?

Making a jig or fixture takes some planning that is for sure, I know I've welded my self in the corner a few times... Lol
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Master-Craftsman TamJeff! No surprise there.

And Rick, I'm glad I'm not the only one who ever welded myself into a corner!

Trev
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

TamJeff
You do inspire bravery with 250 amps and an on/off
It works.
Thanks
sure beats dragging a pedal on some jobs
Attachments
DSCN0628.JPG
DSCN0628.JPG (45.42 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
TamJeff

Thanks everyone.

That's the same switch I use, Rick, and they last a very long time under what I consider severe duty. I have had the same switch on mine for 12 years.

We have had so many people come thru our shop trying to use the pedal and they find out it is not practical for all of the freehand assembly we do at the pace I work at. It's hard enough just to keep track of the ground cable some days.

Here's a project I just got finished with, while simultaneously designing a parts and a repeatable layout plan with that jig I posted. Along with cope layout jigs for clocking all of the twisted copes without having to use a protractor or depending on anything being level. I can show someone one time how to use the jigs and they could reproduce the parts exactly because there are instructions and machine settings included on each jig. In other words, if they could get through a chapter of Dr. Seuss, they could make those parts.
therbrig

Looks great Tamjeff!
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Very nice work.
Freddie
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I do not like the parts I rig.
I think that I will use that jig.
If I follow the boss' line,
My parts will come out just fine.
I do not like green eggs and ham...

8-)

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Are folks changing the way images are posted? I can't see quite a few pictures lately (TamJeff's latest). I know some things are blocked here at work but I'm not seeing a lot more pictures than I used to, most videos are blocked but not photos usually.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Len,

The picture "properties" said "HTTP with privacy", whatever that means.

Try this link (listed as the source under the properties):

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56552F1E

It works for me as a clickable link, same picture.

Steve S

I think the "fbcdn" equates to the picture being shared from a facebook origin, somehow, so it senses whether your included in the FB privacy settings?

That may not make sense... Are you (Braehill and TamJeff) friends on FaceBook? TJ and I are friends on FB and I see the pictures here.

Len, if you can't see it from the link I posted, then it's got to be a FB related issue.

Steve S

Now that I think it through, with the number of members using Tapatalk, I'm sure the number of pictures shared from facebook, directly or indirectly, is increasing. This will always raise issues when the original picture has privacy settings other than "public".

Steve S

Steve,
We are not friends on FB and all things FB are blocked on our server here at work, fact is I surprised that this whole site isn't blocked yet. They've gone overboard blocking sites, half our venders and even the weather channel have been blocked because of their add content.

I can use my phone to work around this but who wants to do that?

Thanks for looking into it anyway.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
therbrig

Well I broke my anti cavitation plate pulling my lower unit off to change the water pump...left a bolt in on underside up anode (imagine that). And I've changed them many times. Anyways figured why not try to fix it. Eventhough I've never tigged aluminum much less cast aluminum. Well it turned out little better than I thought it would:
Topside 1.JPG
Topside 1.JPG (53.46 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Topside 2.JPG
Topside 2.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Topside 3.JPG
Topside 3.JPG (44.86 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Topside 4.JPG
Topside 4.JPG (53.67 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Underside_1.JPG
Underside_1.JPG (78.22 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Underside_2.JPG
Underside_2.JPG (42.34 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Underside_3.JPG
Underside_3.JPG (39.72 KiB) Viewed 2008 times

Len,

We are "Ad-free/spam-free/pop-up free", so far. That has probably kept us "under the Radar" with AP.

I hope it can stay that way, so your participation is not restricted.

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Finished piping up a mini screw compressor rack today. 2" & 2.5" sched 40. Nice to work in a shop again. No sun, no wind, no rain, no carrying gear up ladders, no welding in awkward positions, no JSA no HWP, no WMS, no safety officer. Customer smiled and shook my hand when I finished and said "thankyou here's the cheque". It was such a joy for a change. Didn't even cuss once.
Gonna take the rest of the day off I'm in such a good mood and bash some cans of Tooheys down my neck.
SC.jpg
SC.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

It would make for some very long nightshifts here if I am limited to company business, but the maintenance costs will go through the roof. If I can't get on here and occupy my time, my time will be spent building projects on their dime, this is the better bargain for them. ;) I have about 500 projects around here that could be built if I have idle time and their Amex card.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len