Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

No. My Dialarc has HF, but those are the only choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Braehill wrote:No. My Dialarc has HF, but those are the only choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah but, the foot pedal controls the High Frequency along with welding power. Wouldn't the Arc Pig be continuous? It makes sense to me for steel. Can it weld AC?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'm not sure how how it works, but I've welded with the HF on our old Trailblazer without a pedal, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember how the HF was initiated. If I remember right it was continuous until you turned it off at the welder, not fun, but it worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Mine is still in the box but, if I recall correctly it comes with a wire attached to the Arcpig that you run to the torch and a button lever you zip tie to the torch you are using and when you push the button it initiates the HF arc which will then trigger the torch start, but I never hooked mine up because I have not bought a tig torch.

Anyway I intend to buy either a HTP 221 or a Everlast 210ext or the new Lincoln swuarewave 200. I am still trying to make up my mind, which my wife thinks I've lost.

Sheesh my old eyes just don't work like they used to, I had to edit this three times because auto correct likes to use wrong words in place of my misspelled ones, and my fat fingers don't help on this darn iPad
I am unique like everyone else
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Like on the I pad auto correct crap needing to edit. I feel your pain man! :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The "arc pig" is an in-line Tesla coil that drops out as soon as welding current is established.

It does not do HF continuous.

It only does HF start, and does not care if it's stick or TIG.

DC only.

Steve S

Braehill wrote:I've managed since 1982 with Start, Continuous, and Off.

Len
Bookworthy :lol:

Richard
Richard
Website
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Otto Nobedder wrote: It does not do HF continuous.
Seems from the blurb on the website that it can do 'continuous' mode for AC?

http://www.arcpig.com/howitworks.html

Should be 'single shot' on DC though...

Bye, Arno.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:The "arc pig" is an in-line Tesla coil that drops out as soon as welding current is established.

DC only.

Steve S
Might that make it easier to start or restart 7018? HF wouldn't care if flux gets in the way.

Bill Beauregard wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:The "arc pig" is an in-line Tesla coil that drops out as soon as welding current is established.

DC only.

Steve S
Might that make it easier to start or restart 7018? HF wouldn't care if flux gets in the way.
Yes, indeed. It should eliminate the need to scrape the tip of a 7018 before restart.

Steve S
    Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:

DC only.

Steve S
funny you should mention that, when i first got my Bobcat 250 I was running a bunch of 7018 building a weld table out of some steel i had laying around...anyway I had a terrible time trying to get it to strike well, finally got it dialed in good enough and built the table, but I had that Arcpig with the intension of setting it up on a tig torch I never purchased...well I kept thinking when I was having the trouble with striking the stinger to just get it out and set it up with the arc welder stick...then I thought of the hassle I had to go through to set it up and changed my mind and worked through the problem and got it running like I knew something...which if you have ever seen me weld you would know I don't know jack...Hey I'm a nail bender by trade and a Building Inspector by profession and a farmer by choice, I just fix what I break...in my profile where it says metals you weld I have this posted prolly needs to be my sig...

stuff I break around the farm...I wouldn't call it welding more like joining parts together with really ugly looking melted metal, but I try my hand at anything cuz I ain't skeered.
Last edited by thorthemighty on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am unique like everyone else

Arno wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote: It does not do HF continuous.
Seems from the blurb on the website that it can do 'continuous' mode for AC?

http://www.arcpig.com/howitworks.html

Should be 'single shot' on DC though...

Bye, Arno.
Arno, that page is new since I last studied the arc pig website. It makes sense that it should work that way at each zero-crossing of voltage, but the coil must be sized correctly for the frequency, else it may resonate, or worse, syncopate. Perhaps this is a recent upgrade? Or something it could do originally that they either weren't aware of or didn't think to market?

Steve S
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Arno wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote: Arno, that page is new since I last studied the arc pig website. It makes sense that it should work that way at each zero-crossing of voltage, but the coil must be sized correctly for the frequency, else it may resonate, or worse, syncopate. Perhaps this is a recent upgrade? Or something it could do originally that they either weren't aware of or didn't think to market?
Looking at the rest of the site it seems set to top out around 120Hz. Not too odd as I can imagine that it's most useful on transformer machines which are linked to the input AC frequency (50 or 60Hz in most cases) or more simple/basic inverter machines which probably lack most of the adjustments for frequency and the like.

Runing such an external HF on a machine that has all sorts of waveform adjustments is probably unlikely as those will quickly incorporate HF start anyway.

I think it's a clever product that allows some machines to be used for longer or with more ease without needing to upgrade to a whole new machine. At 30W power draw/syphon from the weld lead it should have little impact on the effective maximum weld current of the machine in use.

Bye, Arno.