Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" makes a pretty stack of dimes with manual pulsing.

Steve S
angus
  • angus

Oddly, it's quite inconvenient and expensive for most welders to buy an old machine.
Many welders buying a machine today will have no choice but to buy an inverter.
Steve S

my comment had to do with consumables, and accessories.

your comment, i would assume, is based on personal experience. people buy new for several reasons. 1. they may not have the ability or time to shop for, purchase and transport a welder. 2. they may not have cash on hand, relying on a credit card to make a purchase. 3. maybe they would like a warranty on their machine. 4. they are new and the bulk of the discussions about newer machines on message boards are about inexpensive imports. (i own a 250 EX, just so you know i am not a hater).

choice? if the conditions i have noted above describe their situation and an inexpensive import will meet their needs, then yes you could make the argument that the choice is being made for them. however, the used market is alive and well with plenty of machines available in all shapes and sizes; inverters and transformers. old and new.

As to whether used machines are more expensive, without getting into specifics, that is impossible to answer.
angus
  • angus

"I disagree however that using the pulse to time your dips when first starting out is a terrible idea".

i don't use it but when i tried it on a machine that let me set the pulse down to 1PPS my first thought was that this would be a great way for a new user to work on his timing. i like the comparison to a metronome.

no argument that inverters are replacing transformers but as to cost that has a lot to do with the brand and capabilities of the unit you are buying.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" makes a pretty stack of dimes with manual pulsing.

Steve S
Good one Otto,
I'll have to give that song a try! LOL I love Pink Floyd.. :)

Pete
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225