Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Oscar wrote:Just received my hand amperage controls from HTP. Yes, controls as in plural---I ordered the sliding control, as well as a rotary one, both are made by CK worldwide. More fun toys. :)
I hope you'll post up a comparison. I'm of the opinion that the slider is easier to manipulate while welding, but that may not be the case for everybody, or the CK rotary may be a better control than the weldcraft I've been using.

It's always exciting open new toys...

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I've used a couple of " Euro style " Tig torches ( looks like a Mig torch with a similar trigger switch ) OK - a bit bulky - but not that bad - you can use the trigger without causing un-wanted movement - so at risk of sounding dumb - why does no one make the trigger an amp control - it's a natural action we're used to from using variable speed power tools & if the resistance is suitable there are already plenty of trigger switches with combined potentiometers - I honestly believe this would be a better answer both for beginners or people with coordination issues & when a foot pedal is not practical - any thoughts ? - anyone seen one ? - anyone tried making one ? should I patent it quick ? !!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Oscar wrote:Just received my hand amperage controls from HTP. Yes, controls as in plural---I ordered the sliding control, as well as a rotary one, both are made by CK worldwide. More fun toys. :)
I hope you'll post up a comparison. I'm of the opinion that the slider is easier to manipulate while welding, but that may not be the case for everybody, or the CK rotary may be a better control than the weldcraft I've been using.

It's always exciting open new toys...

Steve S
I'll definitely post up a comparison. The rotary track at first glance, seems quite "stiff", but that's probably because it is new and has no use on it. In either case, they will take some getting used-to to forge the muscle memory just like learning how to weld, which I still am doing. :lol:

The main reason I wanted the hand amperage controls was to be able to do TIG welding in funky positions on my car, without having to use my knee/elbow/face/etc to have to modulate the "foot" pedal. I know I can just do MIG and eliminate all the added complexity, but what's the fun in that?? :D

Oscar,

That's why I'd like the review...

I work often in difficult positions... Sometimes welding in the mirror while I stand on my head. The pedal is often impractical, so I use a Weldcraft rotary remote in these cases. It works, but I HATE it.

A good review on an alternative might help me convince the non-welding mofo who decides what I can buy...

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I have a Miller RCC-14 and I hate it too. It's one that dials right to left (east/west) and it takes too much movement to end the weld in my opinion. I have one at the other plant I work at that lays flat and also dials from left to right and it's a little better but not much, hate it too.

I used to run a block truck with a six button remote control and was a master at it, so coordination is not the issue here. If it took less movement of the dial to run through the amp range it would be more user friendly I think. It takes more than one movement of the dial to get from zero up to the amps you need, especially on Aluminum.

CK list one that's spring loaded and returns to zero on it's own and when I have some extra cash (maybe 40 years from now) I'm goig to try one.

I also like the trigger idea.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Otto Nobedder wrote:Oscar,

That's why I'd like the review...

I work often in difficult positions... Sometimes welding in the mirror while I stand on my head. The pedal is often impractical, so I use a Weldcraft rotary remote in these cases. It works, but I HATE it.

A good review on an alternative might help me convince the non-welding mofo who decides what I can buy...

Steve S
So the rotary one you have is NOT like this one?

Here is a picture of mine

Um, NO.

The rotary control I have is a friggin' knob, like a volume control on an old radio.

Steve s

Otto Nobedder wrote:Um, NO.

The rotary control I have is a friggin' knob, like a volume control on an old radio.

Steve s
Ah ok, I think I know what you're talking about. Seen that one on Thermal Arc/Longevity TIG welders I think.