Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey Zank,
You need to get a HTP Invertic 221H. 8-)
Save some $$$
2cents,
~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

countryboy1127 wrote:At first I think I have a pretty weld and then Zank post his pictures lol .just kidding but really nice welds . What amps were you set at for the aluminum ans steel ? If dont mind me asking
Dude, your stainless looks sweet. Post more!

For the steel, the peak was set at 120 amps. But I never used full pedal. I like to have more juice available in case I need it. On the aluminum, I was at 200 amps and did have it floored to get started. After the piece warmed up, I came off the pedal quite a bit. If you have any other questions, fire away. I also mistyped in my earlier post. The threaded shell is actually 0.150" wall.

AKweldshop wrote:Hey Zank,
Save some $$$
2cents,
~John
Hi John,
It's definitely between the invertig and the dynasty. USA Weld has always been great to me. There are some nice features on the dynasty though. It may just come down to $$$ in the end though.
Mike

zank wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:Hey Zank,
Save some $$$
2cents,
~John
Hi John,
It's definitely between the invertig and the dynasty. USA Weld has always been great to me. There are some nice features on the dynasty though. It may just come down to $$$ in the end though.
Mike
Yep,
I've always had good dealings with HTP, and will hopefully get one of there plasma cutters.(the 875)....
But, I've yet to here anything bad about the Invertig 221....
Many guys on the forums have bragged about theirs...
2 cents,
~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Exactly right. I've never read a single complaint. The lower cost also means getting it in here sooner and making money with it sooner. Decisions...

Do you need the extra 60amps of the 280DX????

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
tradetek
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

I finally finished a welding project... I am disabled due to multiple back surgeries and needed a way to get our utility trailer into the garage without pushing it, so I made a floor stand to use as an anchor for a come-along or winch, as well as a hitch to keep it stationary.

I started off stick welding it using 7014, but found myself spending an inordinate amount of time trying to clean the slag and fix slag inclusions, so I decided to finish up using TIG and discovered that with all the cleanup time vs the slow as you go TIG, I found TIG to be about the same from a time perspective and I'm more confident that I had good penetration using TIG vs Stick.

Bill

Lincoln Electric v155s with TIG pack (lift start)
Lincoln Electic Viking 3350 Helmet

One father's love for his autistic son... http://www.inmyimage.com

Is you used 7018, you would not have slag inclusions.
~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Do you need the extra 60amps of the 280DX????
That is the real question that has me hung up. The extra 60 amps would be ideal. The thickest aluminum parts that I'll be using are 3/8". I know that there are ways to get by with a smaller machine. But man, helium is expensive. If I get really revving, I would spend the difference between the machines on 75/25 argon/helium mix in less than a year. I should just get the machine that can handle it with some extra headroom.
Last edited by zank on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can always turn a machine down, but you cant always turn them up.
Good reasoning....

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
tradetek

@John - I never really intended to use stick at all, but I had heard over on the forum at weldingweb that 7014 was a good beginner stick without the mess of the 60xx series so I picked up a box of Hobart when I was at Tractor Supply one day.

I have found it useful a couple of times, but I don't really like it. I've got a bit of OCD and started with TIG simply because I knew that I would prefer the cleanliness and control over MIG or SMAW.

If I ever decide to pick up another box, I'll most likely get 7018, but honestly doubt that I'll ever feel the urge to get another box, especially after this project using 1/4 and 5/16th tube and plate (except the top plate which is 3/8th).

Thanks,

Bill

tradetek wrote:@John - I never really intended to use stick at all, but I had heard over on the forum at weldingweb that 7014 was a good beginner stick without the mess of the 60xx series so I picked up a box of Hobart when I was at Tractor Supply one day.

I have found it useful a couple of times, but I don't really like it. I've got a bit of OCD and started with TIG simply because I knew that I would prefer the cleanliness and control over MIG or SMAW.

If I ever decide to pick up another box, I'll most likely get 7018, but honestly doubt that I'll ever feel the urge to get another box, especially after this project using 1/4 and 5/16th tube and plate (except the top plate which is 3/8th).

Thanks,

Bill
Yes, Tig, or Mig for that matter, is a lot cleaner then stick (no matter how skilled you are)....
But for me, I'm always welding let than perfect steel, a lot of times outside.
Portability is a must, and I can reach 150' out of my shop door(or grab my gas driven)....
We're in different worlds, that is why there's many different process's.
~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
tradetek

AKweldshop wrote: Portability is a must, and I can reach 150' out of my shop door(or grab my gas driven)....
Funny, I was in a thread on another forum just a couple of days ago, where I told a guy who was a beginner like me to make sure that whatever machine he bought could either do fluxcore in addition to MIG or SMAW in addition to TIG and another guy basically told me I was stupid for advising the guy to make sure he could use a gasless process on a MIG or TIG, to which I basically said the same thing you just said.

Definitely realize that SMAW has it's place and I have used it a couple of times in similar situations, I just would prefer not to.

I also appreciate guys in your world helping guys in my world do things better. It really does help to get feedback and advice from pros who are willing to give it.

Bill

Yep,
Every process has a place, even at my shop.
I have done stick for years, on all different stuff, a lot a Flux-cored in a 115 mig.
Mig on a lot of stuff to. Tig, well not a ton, just me tho....
Tig is slow, requires pristine conditions, and those two things make me set it aside often....
Stick, by far I use the most, mainly cause i weld on a lot of trucks, trailers, and farm machinery....
And I cant get all the equipment into my shop to reach with a 15ft mig gun!!!
I'm gonna be repairing a dovetail on a 24' Circle D trailer this week, and I'll just grab my big coil of leads, 10lb box of 1/8 8010,
10lb box of 3/32 7018....
Set my machine on 77amps, mag dig, and that is all I need.
Older trailer, rust, 40deg F, 10-15 mph winds a lot of times.
That's what I do.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

AKweldshop wrote: And I cant get all the equipment into my shop to reach with a 15ft mig gun!!!
John,
Just get a 25' gun! :D
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:
AKweldshop wrote: And I cant get all the equipment into my shop to reach with a 15ft mig gun!!!
John,
-Jonathan
Do they make a 25ft Lincoln Magnum Pro-Curve 300 Gun???????
I'd love to see it.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Lit up on some stainless at the shop today. An ET display standoff and another tube-to-plate mount. I really admire Zank's abilities.....to the point I want to weld like that. Looks like I have a lot of face time to go. :arrow:
Attachments
PANA0047.JPG
PANA0047.JPG (60.58 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
PANA0046.JPG
PANA0046.JPG (72.93 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash

AKweldshop wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:
John,
-Jonathan
Do they make a 25ft Lincoln Magnum Pro-Curve 300 Gun???????
I'd love to see it.
John,
Yes they do.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... /e1205.pdf
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:

John,
Yes they do.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... /e1205.pdf
-Jonathan

You gonna buy me one???
I just bought a new 15fter....
I'll keep my eyes open for one on eBay....
Thanks,
~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

John,
lol, I just bought a brand new 15'er as well! I run 25' on the DC600's and wants to have a smaller gun for the light work.
-Jonathan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111284233357?ss ... 1497.l2649
Here's the one I bought....
Good buy in my opinion....
Goes on my Lincoln Powermig 300....

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

It ain't pretty like alot of what I see here, but I'm slowly learning and getting seat time TIGing :D Adding a brace to a skid plate bracket, and making a base for a tube bender.

nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Here's a couple. I've been wanting to upload some pictures for a long while. This is the thick stuff 'cause the thin stuff is so shiny I couldn't get a good picture with my phone.

This is some 304SS I did using our Lincoln Precision TIG the other day.
.250 304SS TIG I did the other day for a time study
.250 304SS TIG I did the other day for a time study
.250 304SS 1G GTAW.jpg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Some Aluminum I did as well. This one was done 5F on .190 5052 H-32 with 5356 Wire.
5F Aluminum TIG
5F Aluminum TIG
5F .190 5052 H-32 Al.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Is the vessel subject to shrinkage with the extreme temperature differences ....seems to me that much temperature difference from the ambient temperature, even a small leak could cause a hot spot, and build on itself till it ruptured?

Just thinking. :)
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Wiredwelder wrote:Is the vessel subject to shrinkage with the extreme temperature differences ....seems to me that much temperature difference from the ambient temperature, even a small leak could cause a hot spot, and build on itself till it ruptured?

Just thinking. :)

talkin' to me?

They're not under any extreme temperature or pressure. Just tested at 1 psi.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press