Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

C. Livingstone wrote:Well,

I’m still new to this forum, but wanted to make a contribution to the Recent Welding thread here as soon as possible, as I think that’s where the most significant stuff occurs on forums like this....
Then you've misjudged us. This thread is nothing fancier than "How was your day?"

The real work here goes on in dozens of threads where we ask each other substantive questions about processes, procedures, regulations and codes, and crazy one-off stuff we face.

Steve S
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I can see how Christian might have thought that. Certainly when I first joined, this seemed a busy, interesting active thread with lots of pics and input.

But Steve is right - lots going on in other threads.

Nice pics by the way Christian, enjoyed looking through those.

Kym
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Sure, Steve, other threads can be as meaningful too, and I wasn't trying to disparage any of them or misjudging any people here. Not at all.

I was just suggesting that, to me, a thread like this one on a welding forum is somehow more significant because it is the practical application of all the other stuff welding-related and it usually shows a personal aspect of the poster.

So, a thread like this is is just a favorite of mine. That's all.

I suppose another one would be a members Custom Welding Cart Thead, then maybe a Custom Flatbed Thread, etc. etc.

Of course, I like to gab about other stuff too, so don't you worry about that!

And thanks for that, Kym. That particular mower has made for other fun projects, like rebuilding the the friction drive transaxle, fitting a bigger deck, and some others. This repower is a fun one too. After that, fabricating and relocating an aluminum diamond plate gas tank will be extra fun, as TIG on aluminum is still a new material for me.

Otto Nobedder wrote:
C. Livingstone wrote:Well,

I’m still new to this forum, but wanted to make a contribution to the Recent Welding thread here as soon as possible, as I think that’s where the most significant stuff occurs on forums like this....
Then you've misjudged us. This thread is nothing fancier than "How was your day?"

The real work here goes on in dozens of threads where we ask each other substantive questions about processes, procedures, regulations and codes, and crazy one-off stuff we face.

Steve S
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo

Fair enough, Christian,

What I meant was, the meat of this forum for many of us is in the questions. The "How do I solve this?" stuff we see every day. This is where ideas, knowledge, and experience get shared, and we all learn something.

The "What I welded" forum is far more "look at this" than "can you help with this?" Sure, project ideas get shared, and I'm certainly not knocking the value in that. I've shared a pile of pictures over the years. I just find more value in the topics where one guy asks a question and twenty people will discuss solutions and research ideas. Sharing knowledge and experience, and helping the next generation up, is why we exist.

Steve S

OK,

I get what you're saying better now.

I do appreciate the attitude of this forum, if such a thing is possible, in how sincere members here are in their helpfulness toward apparent new welders.

And I'm still learning too, especially with TIG on aluminum.
Otto Nobedder wrote:Fair enough, Christian,

What I meant was, the meat of this forum for many of us is in the questions. The "How do I solve this?" stuff we see every day. This is where ideas, knowledge, and experience get shared, and we all learn something.

The "What I welded" forum is far more "look at this" than "can you help with this?" Sure, project ideas get shared, and I'm certainly not knocking the value in that. I've shared a pile of pictures over the years. I just find more value in the topics where one guy asks a question and twenty people will discuss solutions and research ideas. Sharing knowledge and experience, and helping the next generation up, is why we exist.

Steve S
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone

That is the cool thing about this place. Everyone wants to help, to share.

I've been welding over 30 years, and I still approach damn near everything as a student. At work, I'm often asked to teach, train, or guide, and I approach that as a student, as well. In breaking some task down to it's essentials to teach it to someone, I invariably realize something about the task I didn't know before. That's why I'm a fan of the questions we get. Even the simplest questions make me think through something I may have done on instinct for so long I forgot why I do it that way.

Merry Christmas!

Steve S

Yeah,

I think Jody's great character and example in the welding world is reflected in the forum and members here.

Peace be with you all this season!
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone

dmcnally
    Sun May 22, 2016 11:45 am

My astronomy club is adding an extension to the pier that holds the telescope. It didn't come with a bracket to hold the controller. I had some 1-1/4"x1/4" aluminum bar in the garage and decided to make something to hold the controller.

Pieces cut and drilled:
100_2576.JPG
100_2576.JPG (83.99 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
Parts mocked up:
100_2569.JPG
100_2569.JPG (47.6 KiB) Viewed 1867 times

Welded and painted:
100_2589.JPG
100_2589.JPG (54.32 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
I'm still learning to TIG. The welds are pretty rough, but this was a good chance to do a useful project.

Dave
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

A week ago I posted on Facebook that I want more practical experience so if my friends need stuff welded, to bring it on. The cost is a large Starbucks and possibly your parts being scrap (ie I guarantee nothing so if it's important, pay an "expert"). It sightly backfired as I was expecting to fix small doodads or weld up brackets. Yesterday I shortened a driveshaft (which I somehow managed to do with less than 0.25mm runout) and today a mechanic friend said he is in a jam where they took out an engine out of a customer's car which to fix a leak but it turned out to have a cracked head at the valve cover stud. Not only did the customer not want to pay for a new head but he didn't even want to pay to have the head removed and disassembled.

I agreed to help but for the future I'll add a clarification that you bring your stuff to ME, and you have to do all the cleaning and burring out of cracks.

Turned out pretty well. They'll have fun levelling it back out but they sounded confident they could. *shrug*
IMG_4941.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG (41.36 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
IMG_4942.JPG
IMG_4942.JPG (65.41 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
IMG_4948.JPG
IMG_4948.JPG (26.46 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4947.JPG (37.2 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Well done Dmitry.

Hard to believe the customer couldn't see the benefits of removing and dismantling the head, but I've seen similar...some people just aren't willing to take the time or pay the money, and they are willing instead to risk any of the risks that might come with tackling the job in situ.

You've done a great job. It would be interesting to see if they manage to do as good a job of levelling/finishing as you have of welding. Nice rig by the way!

Kym
BigD

Thanks Kym! Yeah agreed on all counts. I almost want it to fail so he can learn his lesson but if they can level it out it will probably seal fine. I actually brought my small bosch router to try to level it out and it was actually going rather well but as I was inching the dept down I just didn't have enough fine control over it and it ended up digging too far, so I had to build it back up. Their old timer said he'll be do it no problem... ok if you say so.
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

Not purty but I salvaged a broken conduit bender head. held up to bending 3/4 sch 40 steel pipe, so I guess the weld are ok.
IMG_20161211_132309677.jpg
IMG_20161211_132309677.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

if it fixes it and it works then the weld is PERFECT!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:if it fixes it and it works then the weld is PERFECT!
craig
+1
Good job Jon, 3/4" sch 40 steel is a tough bend.
Richard
Website
Navy599
    Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 am

[/b] Hello there one and all. I just bought my first TIG welder it is a Eastwood TIG 200. I have never TIG welded before. so, I thought I would show my first attempt at it. if I can ever figure out how to get an image posted/ bottom one is the first one and the top one is the second.
Attachments
20161230_140240.jpg
20161230_140240.jpg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Navy599 wrote:[/b] Hello there one and all. I just bought my first TIG welder it is a Eastwood TIG 200. I have never TIG welded before. so, I thought I would show my first attempt at it. if I can ever figure out how to get an image posted/ bottom one is the first one and the top one is the second.
Welcome. Your kinda sorta in the wrong thread, you should post this in the TIG welding thread and you'll get more response. Not bad for your first TIG welds.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

I got a HF porta band and wanted to be able to use it as a vertical band saw but I have a problem Shop Space. I am a hobbyist working with wood, plastic, fiberglass, metal and welding all out of my basement shop. From the attached photos of my band saw stand you can see the mess. Making free standing stand would be great if I had a place to put it but I don't. So here is my answer, make a holder for the saw that I can clamp in my vise when I need it and of course a new table on the saw.

Attached is also a photo of my welding area. It's the stair well for my outside basement stairs. I put the wooden stair on wheels and pull them into the basement when I want to weld.

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG (40.42 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG (56.23 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG (54.82 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

Yeah, I have similar space constraints, even tighter.

I've often debated with myself about doing a similar porta band saw stand. But I like those recessed miter guides that some of the SWAG tables have, except that the SWAG table is just more of a space-taker. I built a compact welding table that I'm about to modify and integrate a small metal brake onto, which will also be easily removable. And after that I may seek to get a cordless bandsaw to mount to the compact welding table too, and somehow include a miter slide guide. We'll see. But, yeah, protable bandsaws adapted to vertical positions is cool!!!!!!!!!!
mpete53 wrote:I got a HF porta band... Making free standing stand would be great if I had a place to put it but I don't. So here is my answer, make a holder for the saw that I can clamp in my vise when I need it and of course a new table on the saw.

Mark
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Tig welded the washer, spring, and nylock assembly from my Millermatic 211 together. I hated how it was 3 separate pieces and went all over the place when I changed spools.

I was gonna weld a wing nut to the top of the nylock nut but didn't want to risk melting the nylon away.
Navy599
    Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 am

exnailpounder wrote:
Navy599 wrote:[/b] Hello there one and all. I just bought my first TIG welder it is a Eastwood TIG 200. I have never TIG welded before. so, I thought I would show my first attempt at it. if I can ever figure out how to get an image posted/ bottom one is the first one and the top one is the second.
Welcome. Your kinda sorta in the wrong thread, you should post this in the TIG welding thread and you'll get more response. Not bad for your first TIG welds.
I do not know how to move It to the right thread. I am more of a beginner at computer stuff than I am at welding I think lol. Feel free to put the thread where you think it needs to go for me. Thanks
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Here are some pictures of the last thing I built.

It was painted and moved in place yesterday or the day before I believe.

It's all 2" schd 40 pipe, I was using my stick welder and a co worker was cutting and Migging whenever he wansn't cutting.

Took a lot of messing up and fixing as I am no master of squaring unfortunately I don't have the magic sight of knowing where to weld to re-square :lol: Built the 3 center pieces first with all the angled supports and then laid them all on an uneven floor (as they were painting their shop floor) so we had to move the show outside on an asphalt sloped driveway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then did 2 of the center peices and tacked in the cross pieces, then tried to stand it up and it all broke apart :lol:

Then I redid all the tacks, lined it up "squared" it up and did a halfway weld on every piece to keep it from breaking, then added the 3rd section and welded half of all the joints, stood it up and considered going home...

The whole frame was tilting to the side :cry: Ended up having to cut must of my tacks up and pulling straps across the frame to try and square it up, broke some pipe off pulled the strap in such a way that I could jump on the strap when it was tight to try and stretch the frame to go where I wanted. Every time I jumped you could hear a squeak and the frame would shift and shift right back, someone walked by and said it sounded just like their wedding night :lol:

After 4 hours of resquaring, It finally squared back up. Welded away for the next 6 hours until it was 6 AM :lol:

Grabbed the forklift, picked it up, dropped it twice and then figured out how to pick it up without dropping it and moved it inside, put it down, checked the feet and level, went outside angled the sloped ends so the feet could stand flat and welded plate onto the feet with the frame on the forklift.

And she was done.
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
IMG_1869.jpg
IMG_1869.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
if there's a welder, there's a way
BigD

Pic of the shortened driveshaft after it came back from balancing. My first time doing this, friend of mine was swapping in a 6 speed which is much longer than his 5 but the flange is the same. Needed to take 5" out of it, the seam is in the bottom third in the pic. Somehow managed to do it with max 0.2mm runout. The driveshaft shop who balanced it for him was apparently very impressed, owner came out to ask who did the shortening because they knew what they're doing (little did they know...)
driveshaft1.jpg
driveshaft1.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

BigD wrote:Pic of the shortened driveshaft after it came back from balancing. My first time doing this, friend of mine was swapping in a 6 speed which is much longer than his 5 but the flange is the same. Needed to take 5" out of it, the seam is in the bottom third in the pic. Somehow managed to do it with max 0.2mm runout. The driveshaft shop who balanced it for him was apparently very impressed, owner came out to ask who did the shortening because they knew what they're doing (little did they know...)
driveshaft1.jpg
Looks like a BMW driveshaft if I've ever seen one

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
BigD

GreinTime wrote: Looks like a BMW driveshaft if I've ever seen one

Affirmative! E36 6cyl driveshaft
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

BigD wrote:
GreinTime wrote: Looks like a BMW driveshaft if I've ever seen one

Affirmative! E36 6cyl driveshaft
I'm just about finished with an exhaust for an E30 a friend put an M62TuB44 in. If you check out @greintime3592 on Instagram, I have some videos up there of it. I just got a replacement phone, and didn't back up any pictures or videos offf the old one so I'm starting fresh!

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-