Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Done with the dump body ...no longer a lumber delivery flat bed...finally done !
------------------------------------
1.jpg
1.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
---------------------------------------
2.jpg
2.jpg (53.22 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
--------------------------------------
Had to cut this door down , was 6" too wide
3.jpg
3.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
-----------------------------------
4.jpg
4.jpg (44.06 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Last edited by subwayrocket on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Well done Sub!

Kym

MosquitoMoto wrote:Well done Sub!
Kym
Tnx much Kym . It was alotta work but for a good bud. We had fun with it. This would have definitely been a good job for a mig machine though, but I figured it'd be a lot of Tig practice . There was about a 1/8" gap in a few spots where the side plate meets the bed ...I found myself "weaving" (by accident) when bridging the gap. When I finished that spot and looked, I was like OK this is what gives a bead a weave pattern. :D

subwayrocket wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:Well done Sub!
Kym
Tnx much Kym . It was alotta work but for a good bud. We had fun with it. This would have definitely been a good job for a mig machine though, but I figured it'd be a lot of Tig practice . There was about a 1/8" gap in a few spots where the side plate meets the bed ...I found myself "weaving" (by accident) when bridging the gap. When I finished that spot and looked, I was like OK this is what gives a bead a weave pattern. :D
Yeah, I looked at that bead and thought "Whoah...fancy!"

I can see why you went Tig, like you said, great practise. Funny, my machine does Tig/Stick/Plasma and I had a problem with it recently, wasn't HF starting on Tig. The seller was working with me to diagnose the problem and at one stage he said "Give it a shot on stick, then call me back and tell me if it lights up."

I'd never used the stick function before. It lit up right away and I was surprised...it welds great on stick. Smooth!

This is my trademark, long-winded way of saying that while I can see why you welded the truck on Tig, with Argon costing so much here in Oz I would of course have switched over to stick for a job that big. Must do more stick welding now that I know how good the machine welds.

Again...well done!

Kym
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

subwayrocket wrote: Tnx much Kym . It was alotta work but for a good bud. We had fun with it. This would have definitely been a good job for a mig machine though, but I figured it'd be a lot of Tig practice . There was about a 1/8" gap in a few spots where the side plate meets the bed ...I found myself "weaving" (by accident) when bridging the gap. When I finished that spot and looked, I was like OK this is what gives a bead a weave pattern. :D
That looks great! Am I right in assuming that you did these as a single pass laywire run?

MosquitoMoto wrote:
I can see why you went Tig, like you said, great practise. Funny, my machine does Tig/Stick/Plasma and I had a problem with it recently, wasn't HF starting on Tig. The seller was working with me to diagnose the problem and at one stage he said "Give it a shot on stick, then call me back and tell me if it lights up."

I'd never used the stick function before. It lit up right away and I was surprised...it welds great on stick. Smooth!

Kym
I have had a few times with my machine as well where it hasn't wanted to light up, but in my case it was either poor grounding to the part or a contaminated tungsten. At other times I just needed to ground the tungsten before initiating the arc. What was the problem with your machine? Operator error as in my case or something more sinister?

I haven't used the stick function yet either.. I've just been trying to come to grips with Tig!

Flo

Flo -

Turned out to be pretty simple. HF And gas had gone away and while I thought I had also checked these functions with a torch switch just to rule out a pedal failure, I must have had a temporary brain failure (again) and not done this properly. Long story short, Pete from Token stepped up immediately to help and happily we traced it to a failed connection within the foot pedal.

Fixed.

But I have been playing with stick welding again tonight and really surprised myself...I am loving it.

Kym

[quote="OzFlo
That looks great! Am I right in assuming that you did these as a single pass laywire run?
[/quote]
Thanks much ! It was 2 pass, laywire . First pass was made kind of holding the wire in the root and somewhat diagonal across the 1/18" gap, and then with the tungsten I wove from the bed upward across the 3/32 wire and into the side plate, watching for good fusion into the bed, across the gap and into the side wall plate of the dump . Then I came back over it again with 1/16" wire . I found that holding the torch at the far end (where the cables go into it) I could use the cup as a pivot point to keep a good angle and advance forward by wobbling it. Previously I only held the torch like a pencil . A local guy here got me holding the torch way out at the end (like a hammer ?) and using the cup as a pivot. It was kind of awkward at first but I found it a very useful in these fillet joints. It seems to allow a lot of control while having a very relaxed grip .
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Kym -

Good to hear that the issue was easily fixed! I still haven't tried MMA function yet.. I finally replaced the handle on my 26 torch with a straight one tonight and it is so much nicer than the Euro style handle!

subwayrocket -

I have really only held my torch with a pencil type grip too. But then again I have only been welding small stuff on a table plus I put a flex head on my torch so I suspect it's not really rigid enough to be pivoting effectively on the cup.

Still.. I like your work!

OzFlo wrote: subwayrocket -

I have really only held my torch with a pencil type grip too. But then again I have only been welding small stuff on a table plus I put a flex head on my torch so I suspect it's not really rigid enough to be pivoting effectively on the cup.

Still.. I like your work!
I think there are a few of us here that are all in the same boat, somewhere into our first year welding. The learning process is great isn't it ! Yes, I was doing the same thing as you...small repairs in my garage, practice, small fab and using only the pencil type grip. I was at my LWS and I met a guy who is a welding instructor at the local Tech school...he invited me to stop down there in the evening practice sessions, showed me that "hammer" grip . I like how you can have such a loose, relaxed grip and still have a lot of control. My torch is a CK20 Flex head and it does not flex doing this. Between my old F250 and this dumper, I also ended up having to do a lot of left handed work too . "Necessity" has been a very good opportunity and teacher for me . Thanks again !
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

AFR_Autoworks wrote:Haha you get used to it! The key is to get in feet first and sit on the door bar. Road race/ drift/ rally cars don't have the luxury of swing outs like drag cars. Drag cage regulations are very lax.
No, I mean literally I'd have to take my leg off lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

GreinTime wrote:
AFR_Autoworks wrote:Haha you get used to it! The key is to get in feet first and sit on the door bar. Road race/ drift/ rally cars don't have the luxury of swing outs like drag cars. Drag cage regulations are very lax.

:mrgreen:
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:

Perhaps, not everyone here knows that you have one that's removable?

:lol:

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
GreinTime wrote:

Perhaps, not everyone here knows that you have one that's removable?

:lol:

Steve S
Fair point lol.

For those who don't know, I had my leg cut off 2 years ago after shooting myself with a 1911!

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

@greintime
Open wheel cars it's easier to come in from top of cage forget snaking threw side plus there was a midget and Sprint car driver that had one leg. He wore a device on upper part that was left it locked into special pedal built into car. Very good driver and hell of a nice guy.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

By open wheels do you mean sprint cars?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
dirtmidget33

Poland308 wrote:By open wheels do you mean sprint cars?
There are three classes Midgets, Sprints, Champ Cars (Silver Crown they changed name but for us old racing families and old guys we still consider them champ cars)

I don't consider minisprints as one of the classes they are not traditional and fairly new plus they use motor cycle engines. Personally I can't stand wings. There is a difference between wing sprints and non wing sprints.

On my phone so pics won't post. Will try to add this U.S.A.C. video link they show the three classes in the video. Hope it works

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1394762974

Don't really care for usac link I gave you here is one with midgets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l7r8SH5dyo&app=desktop
Last edited by dirtmidget33 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I live about an hour and a half from Knoxville Iowa were they hold a few races.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
dirtmidget33

@Poland308 I ran Knoxville, I love that track doesn't really feel like a half mile due to straightaways being kind of short but has wide sweeping turns pretty fast track. Got to visit there hospital one night. First time I was at a hospital where most of the emergency section was closed off for the night. They had to turn lights on in that part of hospital. I was the only one in emergency room area. I flipped threw 3 and 4 coming to a stop on front stretch. I stayed conscious threw flip didn't think car was ever gonna stop. After the final landing blacked out. I was glad they had those tall wooden walls kept my car from exiting the track. Had wood chunks jammed under my bead locks on the rim.
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Still practicing on some tubing before I weld my roll cage. Thanks John.
Attachments
2016-01-06 07.44.02.jpg
2016-01-06 07.44.02.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 1831 times

Very nice welds there Hollywood
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Looks to me like you are ready to do the cage. I like the look of your weld. I see so many race cars that barely have any filler in the welds. It's scary to think about what will happen if there is ever a need for one of those roll cages. I've seen one of those cars crash before and the tube that got hit broke clean off of the frame rail. The tube should have been bent and twisted, but never broke off. This tube broke off so clean that it was bent back in place and welded on again.
Freddie
Hollywood1

Thanks I appreciate the comments. Ive been practicing and wasting a lot of money and finally I feel like this will do. John

Hollywood1 wrote:Thanks I appreciate the comments. Ive been practicing and wasting a lot of money and finally I feel like this will do. John

I don't think the practise has been a waste of money...those welds are looking good.

Kym
Hollywood1

Thanks Kym.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I agree with Kym.
Practice although it doesnt produce a cash flow at the time is anything but a waste of money.
Call it a future investment.
That is a nice looking weld by the way, looks like the practice is paying off.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....