Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chev104275
    Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 am

Fisrt off let me say long time lerker first time poster and i love the site so many great videos and tips. I think i subsribed and watched all the weekly videos so far :D . Little bit of back ground on me i fairly new to welding i took a class back in march for tig welding for my new job and i practice when i can mostly stainless stuff. Now on to my question i have been asked to weld some Tantalum i cant find much info on doing this with a tig at atmoshere. Does anyone have any info on how to do this and some base line settings for my tig ? As for my Welder Its a Lincoln square wave Tig Pro 175. I have Ultra High Purity Argon, Ultra High Purity Helium and 75/25 Mix For gas if any of this will work

Again Great Site and thanks in adavnce Joe
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Have a look at this,

http://www.keytometals.com/Article50.htm

I only scanned over the article but my understanding is you can use a drag box (a small box attached to your hand peice, to create a protective atmosphere) on your tig, as well as a gas back up to keep the air away from the hot metal on the underside of the weld. Jody has a video on this site about welding Titanium. He shows the torch set up, that includes a extra large gas cup to blanket the weld zone with gas. Im not sure if the Ti vid is applicable to your needs. Im assuming that the two metals are similar in the way you need to shield them.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/wel ... anium.html

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/wel ... rgy-6.html

Good luck,

Mick.
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

What is tantalum???
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65

Hey,

Have a read of the link i posted about, Key to metals. It explains it all.

Mick
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

Awwww...fool mee..
Thanks Mick.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
chev104275
    Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks Mike I can try and see what happens i have one piece i can sacrifce and 39 to be welded :?

Hey there ,

I think there is a part in the article that mentions weld brittleness. Just be aware that a "nice" tig weld may not be enough.

Good luck, Post pics if possible.
Mick
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Sorry for the late post. But I weld tant at my work if you still need info on filler and stuff let me know. Wish I could have helped you sooner but my comp broke and just got a smart phone so thought I would check the forums out again