Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
weldkid22
    Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:00 am

I've been looking at mild steel filler lately and was wondering what seems to work best and the best place to buy it. It seems to be the most at my local welding shop. 5.50/lb for e70s2 1/8"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I keep 3/32 and 1/8 in the same tube along with some 5/32. Those sizes will cover you for almost anything.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I keep 1/16 and 3/32 in both ER70S2 and ER70S6.

I can honestly barely tell any difference in performance, the two types are just what I have on hand. If anything, S2 appears to perhaps deliver a slightly cleaner bead.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Can't or won't clean mill scale I use 70 s6 (but it has sluggish puddle).
Cold rolled and or cleaned material I use 70 s2.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

weldkid22 wrote:I've been looking at mild steel filler lately and was wondering what seems to work best and the best place to buy it. It seems to be the most at my local welding shop. 5.50/lb for e70s2 1/8"
What kind of work are you doing? Professional certified welding? Welding business? Garage-weekend warrior hobbyist??
Gunner
    Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am

$5.50/lb seems expensive? My LwS sells er70-2 for $2.90 lb. they put it on a scale and weigh it. It doesn't matter if you buy one pound or 50/lb, it's it's 2.90/lb
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

at my job (where we weld primarily stainless), we just use our giant 12' shear in auto mode and carefully feed (still learning how to do it consistently) a sheet of stainless of our choice of thickness to make filler 'rod'. Not as nice as allow filler rods, but you sure end up with a ton of it for almost no cost at all and you can vary your thickness to whatever you like (once you get good at it)...
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Gunner wrote:$5.50/lb seems expensive? My LwS sells er70-2 for $2.90 lb. they put it on a scale and weigh it. It doesn't matter if you buy one pound or 50/lb, it's it's 2.90/lb
I agree. Well, $5.50/lb is not a lot if you're buying those 1lb canisters that are pre-packaged. But if you're buying 10lbs at a time, < $3/lb is more along the lines of what you should be paying.

It's not complete, but feel free to check it out: MIG/TIG Filler rod price sheet
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I use Harris filler comes with a heat range number, can go online and print out info on that batch of filler. Stock ER70-S2 in .035 .045 1/16 and 3/32 I don't bother keeping 1/8 on hand. Stuff I weld on is thinner stuff. Most of time .120 to .125 wall is the thickest I go, with most of it being .095 to .065 wall sometimes thinner.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
weldkid22

Oscar wrote:
weldkid22 wrote:I've been looking at mild steel filler lately and was wondering what seems to work best and the best place to buy it. It seems to be the most at my local welding shop. 5.50/lb for e70s2 1/8"
What kind of work are you doing? Professional certified welding? Welding business? Garage-weekend warrior hobbyist??
Im doing alot of practice welding, just finding things and throwing beads down, i also do some repair work when people need it.
weldkid22

Gunner wrote:$5.50/lb seems expensive? My LwS sells er70-2 for $2.90 lb. they put it on a scale and weigh it. It doesn't matter if you buy one pound or 50/lb, it's it's 2.90/lb

I bought a single pound of e70s-2 and it came out to $10 just for the pound.. i also live in oregon if that helps? not alot of welding around here.

weldkid22 wrote:

I bought a single pound of e70s-2 and it came out to $10 just for the pound.. i also live in oregon if that helps? not alot of welding around here.
ER70S-2 1/16" one pound at $2.78 from LWS
Richard
Website
weldkid22

LtBadd wrote:
weldkid22 wrote:

ER70S-2 1/16" one pound at $2.78 from LWS

i wish it was that cheap around here, ill have to order online from now on or find a new local supply store.