Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm trying new tungsten types in a Syncrowave 250, I've only used Thorated (DC) and Pure (AC) for the longest time. My local weld shop does not carry Lanthenated but they swore up an down on the E3, which apparently comes in all the new inverter machines. I first tried the E3 sharp and it worked decent but occasionally grew a nodule on the side of the point which throws everything off. Then I gave it a slight balling, about 2/3 the diameter of the tungsten, and it seemed to work well. I got a flatter and narrower fillet than I could with the same size pure tungsten.

I was told the E3 works sharpened on AC, I'm assuming this is only on inverter machines, or am I mistaken.

Does Lanthenated work sharpened on old school transformer machine ?

Thank you for your input.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Rudy Ray wrote:I'm trying new tungsten types in a Syncrowave 250, I've only used Thorated (DC) and Pure (AC) for the longest time. My local weld shop does not carry Lanthenated but they swore up an down on the E3, which apparently comes in all the new inverter machines. I first tried the E3 sharp and it worked decent but occasionally grew a nodule on the side of the point which throws everything off. Then I gave it a slight balling, about 2/3 the diameter of the tungsten, and it seemed to work well. I got a flatter and narrower fillet than I could with the same size pure tungsten.

I was told the E3 works sharpened on AC, I'm assuming this is only on inverter machines, or am I mistaken.

Thank you for your input.
I sold my transformer but I did use 2% lanthanated with it. What I liked about it was that you could sharpen it and it would only ball slightly and resisted growing nodules. I only used E3 on AC once with my inverter and I didn't think it was any better or worse than anything else I have tried.It held up well. I think thoriated and lanthanated are pretty much the same. I almost grabbed some rare earth a few weeks ago but I am very satisfied with lanthanated and will stay with it until something better comes along.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rudy Ray

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

All I use is E3, I have been using it for AC & DC repairs and fabrication work for the last 2 years, I used to have throiated and green until my LWS told me about E3 and the fact that it can be used on any metal on both AC and DC, since then, its all I use and it works great for me.
if there's a welder, there's a way
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Olivero wrote:All I use is E3, I have been using it for AC & DC repairs and fabrication work for the last 2 years, I used to have throiated and green until my LWS told me about E3 and the fact that it can be used on any metal on both AC and DC, since then, its all I use and it works great for me.

Have you tried the Quad 4 Tungsten yet? I haven't used the E3 or Quad 4 as I just use 2% lanthanated most of the time.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

electrode wrote:
Olivero wrote:All I use is E3, I have been using it for AC & DC repairs and fabrication work for the last 2 years, I used to have throiated and green until my LWS told me about E3 and the fact that it can be used on any metal on both AC and DC, since then, its all I use and it works great for me.

Have you tried the Quad 4 Tungsten yet? I haven't used the E3 or Quad 4 as I just use 2% lanthanated most of the time.
I've tried both, and on DC I can't tell a difference. It's AC where the majority of the difference will rear their ugly head, mainly on high amperage welding. One important thing to note is that both blends typically use 1.5% Lanthanum as the main alloying element, just like the other tri-mix such as from Diamond Ground, and the CK Layzr.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Rudy Ray wrote:My local weld shop does not carry Lanthenated but they swore up an down on the E3

Turns out your LWS really DOES carry lanthanated: if you look at the MSDS for E3, it shows as "1.5% - 1.7% lanthanated tungsten".

I just watched this video again, http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tun ... rodes.html , and on AC, the 1.5 lanth grew nodules and the E3 balled up. BUT, this doesn't answer your "transformer" question. In the video, Jody performed the comparison tests on an inverter.

Would the test results be different in a transformer? Anybody with a transformer machine got an answer for Rudy?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
electrode

Oscar wrote:
electrode wrote:

I've tried both, and on DC I can't tell a difference. It's AC where the majority of the difference will rear their ugly head, mainly on high amperage welding. One important thing to note is that both blends typically use 1.5% Lanthanum as the main alloying element, just like the other tri-mix such as from Diamond Ground, and the CK Layzr.
Thanks for the info. I usually use 2% Lanthated or Ceriated for AC. Last time I did some high amperage AC I used the Ceriated.
electrode

Artie F. Emm wrote:
Rudy Ray wrote:My local weld shop does not carry Lanthenated but they swore up an down on the E3

Turns out your LWS really DOES carry lanthanated: if you look at the MSDS for E3, it shows as "1.5% - 1.7% lanthanated tungsten".

I just watched this video again, http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tun ... rodes.html , and on AC, the 1.5 lanth grew nodules and the E3 balled up. BUT, this doesn't answer your "transformer" question. In the video, Jody performed the comparison tests on an inverter.

Would the test results be different in a transformer? Anybody with a transformer machine got an answer for Rudy?
I have a transformer Miller SW250DX and use 2% Lanthanated as my regular "go to" tungsten. I have also used Ceriated for AC but use Lanthanated for AC too with no issues. Buy it from ebay if your LWS doesn't carry it. It's cheaper there anyhow. :D Good video link too. I watched that one a few times over the years. And don't waste your time with 1.5% lanthanated as the price is not much (if any) less and buy 2% as a rule.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

+1 on the 2% Lanthanated - not so easy to find here as 1 or 1.5% but they are not good - wondering if anyone has encountered the 4% Thoriated yet ?
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

noddybrian wrote:+1 on the 2% Lanthanated - not so easy to find here as 1 or 1.5% but they are not good - wondering if anyone has encountered the 4% Thoriated yet ?
I bought a packet of 1.6 (orange) from Diamond Ground Products at the Essen Welding/Cutting Show some years back for £19-00.

I still haven't used them; it was hedge against the fcking EU_SSR safety nanny state banning 2% ! But 2% still seems to be available, so I'll keep them for important jobs.
Rudy Ray

Are you using it on an inverter or a transformer machine?

If transformer, are you using it sharp?
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Never heard of the Quad before, I am guessing its just alloyed with 4 different elements instead of 3?

I noticed that the E3 tends to die pretty hard when your welding aluminum at above 100 amps, if you touch it on something or accidentally dip it in the puddle and it freezes, 250% of the time, it snaps the ball off the tip which annoys the bajeesus out of me.

That might be common for all tungsten though, I don't know that.

I read up and studied about all the different types and then someone told me there was an all in 1 tungsten and it was just too simple to say no :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Olivero wrote:Never heard of the Quad before, I am guessing its just alloyed with 4 different elements instead of 3?
Yea pretty much. I'd be willing to bet the main alloying rare-earth element is still ~1.5% Lanthanum oxide, just as all the other mixes.
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

I used this and had good results but still prefer 2% lanthanated. I buy the cheap 2% off of Amazon by the brand Autobody Now. something like 15$ for 10 Sticks of 3/32" so not bad at all.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

noddybrian wrote:+1 on the 2% Lanthanated - not so easy to find here as 1 or 1.5% but they are not good - wondering if anyone has encountered the 4% Thoriated yet ?
YES :) :)
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)