Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:51 am

Oscar wrote:Well there we go. :)

So like I first asked... other than being watercooled, what is the difference between a 17 and 20 torch? I know I am newbie when it comes to gig, but why have two numbers to identify a torch that is the same size? Why are parts listed for each if there are no differences?

AR15DCM wrote:

So like I first asked... other than being watercooled, what is the difference between a 17 and 20 torch? I know I am newbie when it comes to gig, but why have two numbers to identify a torch that is the same size? Why are parts listed for each if there are no differences?
I'm no expert but I'll try to help. Here's Jody's video explaining it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplipcJ5cyc

The way I understand it, the air cooled size 9 and water cooled size 20 share the same sized hardware.

The air cooled 17 and 26 torches also share the same sized hardware. (I know this from experience).

So to answer your question, the size 17 air cooled torch takes larger hardware than the water cooled size 20.

Kym

MosquitoMoto wrote:
AR15DCM wrote:

I'm no expert but I'll try to help. Here's Jody's video explaining it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplipcJ5cyc

The way I understand it, the air cooled size 9 and water cooled size 20 share the same sized hardware.

The air cooled 17 and 26 torches also share the same sized hardware. (I know this from experience).

So to answer your question, the size 17 air cooled torch takes larger hardware than the water cooled size 20.

Kym

Kym thanks for the vid link it was very informative.

I need to get some decent consumables for my two torches. I understand they are sold here, but I do not need the whole kit just the gas lens and cups. I have two different size back caps already and my tungsten.

Kym[/quote]

I need to get some decent consumables for my two torches. I understand they are sold here, but I do not need the whole kit just the gas lens and cups. I have two different size back caps already and my tungsten.[/quote]

Dean -

eVilBay is your friend. I have purchased 90 percent of my torch parts online, many via our friends in China. Cups, gas lenses, collets, back caps, insulators, the lot. In 18 months of welding I've never really felt a need to do it any differently. Especially when my local suppliers are as useless as a chocolate teapot, and the same torch head in the stores at $60 I can buy online for $8.

Kym
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

You know,

During the course of this thread I've decided to do away with my #9 torch stuff, and I've got a little baggie of the stuff you're talking about on my desk.

Anyway, here's a pic. The gas lens sizes are .040, 1/16", and 3/32", I believe. There's some other stuff too. So, if you think you can actually use 'em, just sent me a PM with a street address and I'll send 'em to you!
#9.jpg
#9.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 661 times
[/quote]
I need to get some decent consumables for my two torches. I understand they are sold here, but I do not need the whole kit just the gas lens and cups. I have two different size back caps already and my tungsten.[/quote]
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo

MosquitoMoto wrote:Kym

Dean -

eVilBay is your friend. I have purchased 90 percent of my torch parts online, many via our friends in China. Cups, gas lenses, collets, back caps, insulators, the lot. In 18 months of welding I've never really felt a need to do it any differently. Especially when my local suppliers are as useless as a chocolate teapot, and the same torch head in the stores at $60 I can buy online for $8.

their product

Kym[/quote]

Welding City is not far from me... As the crow flies about 12 miles.
Has anyone ever used them, and if so how was their product?

I've used them, and they're fine for hobbyist use. I can't from any other perspective because I'm no pro. I will say however that they have a 15% sale going on right now. Coupon Code: WeldingCity.
dmcnally
    Sun May 22, 2016 11:45 am

eVilBay is your friend. I have purchased 90 percent of my torch parts online, many via our friends in China.
I found barrenweldsupply to be good for small quantities of lenses, cups, and other miscellaneous items. Prices are good and shipping is very reasonable.

Here's a link: http://stores.ebay.com/Barren-Welding-S ... 7675.l2563

Dave