Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Loomitic
    Sun May 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Has anyone changed out the stock torch handle on a Miller Diversion 180? I'd like to replace the current torch w/amp control for a smaller WP 9 with a weldtec whip type gas hose. The reason I want to do this is two fold - one is to make the hose lighter and not roll my wrist when trying to weld and second is to have a lighter torch and be able to use smaller tungsten and rod/wire for welding thin 20 ga. steel sheet. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Ken
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

Ken,

I asked my welding supply friend about your question. He said the only thing you could do is change the head out
to a wp9. Kind of gets you half way to what you want. If you ask me that was very stupid of miller to hard wire that
torch.
rsears
    Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I've been trying to save money for some fabrication equipment to use out of my garage, up until I first joined and started watching the video's Jody releases I never knew the torch was hardwired in on this unit. This was the very unit I was going to be purchasing too.

Bad call on Millers part for sure.
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

I have a Diversion 165 which is basically the same as the 180 less a foot pedal, a dual voltage power plug and a digital readout. The machine end of the torch cable is "hard wired" to the power source. The business end is no problem to change torches. Have a look at these videos by John Swartz of Miller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7xfyhf1Ak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDzR3TswzIg

I added a foot pedal to my Diversion and removed the fancy handle control and the fire hose wrapper around the torch cable. I stuffed the data cable from the original torch back into the case and wire tied it out of the way. I thus have only a single hose running from the Diversion box to the torch.

Recently I purchased a "generic" WP9 flex torch and a WP17 flex torch from www.weldingcity.com. For $10 each they were hard to resist. Both work fine. I gave the WP17 a real workout making a repair on my step-son's Farmall Super-A tractor. I was running the Diversion 165 flat out. I had to stop on occasion to allow the Diversion to cool but the $10 torch did not miss a beat.

Ken
rsears
    Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Ken,

Thanks for the links, I had no idea. :o

I recently went with a good friend of mine who Tig welds quite a bit to another friend of his who has many years of experience for some lessons. While over there he did have a Diversion 165 which he has also outfitted with a foot pedal. The old' timers main welder is a Precision 275 which had a torch utilizing a gas lens. Could a gas lens be used on the torches available for the Diversion 165/180? During the lessons, I noticed it seemed easier to choke up on the Precision torch vs. the factory LS17 on the Miller unit. I can see why it would be goofy if you were using the pedal yet having the thumb controls right there in your way.

Richard
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Every commonly available torch can use a gas lens. They come in various thread patterns (I've encountered three) for the different torches. I generally prefer a gas lens, partly because that's what I learned with, and partly because there is less turbulence at the arc, which can be a problem welding outside where higher gas flow is required.

The gas lens, as I'm sure you saw at your friend's shop, requires a different cup to fit the threads on the lens, as well as a spacer gasket behind the lens. The simplest solution is to take your torch head to your supplier and say, "Set me up.".

An advantage to gas lenses is the ability to use a much larger cup. This provides wider sheilding coverage, and makes "walking the cup" a small wrist motion, giving you more precision than the large movements required to walk a small collet-body cup.

Your mileage may vary...

P.S. Thanks, Ken, for the links as well.

Steve
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Glad to help. A couple of other things I might add...

The Diversion torches are NOT REALLY hard wired. As discussed, the torch head and handle are easy to change. As to the other end of the cable... It is not connected externally as with most TIG power sources. But, if you pop the cover you will find that the cable passes through the strain relief in the front panel an is connected inside the unit. It is really a simple matter to change the cable for repair purposes or to add a longer, shorter or fancy colored one :mrgreen:

As to gas lens options... When I took a TIG class at the local community college some years back I got the impression that gas lenses were exotic and expensive. They are neither. The torch provided with the Diversion 165/180 is in the WP17 family. Have a look here for a good reference for part numbers http://www.weldcraft.com/parts-accessories/For example to add a medium gas lens for 3/32" tungsten you would need:

gas lens collet body 45V26
gasket 54N01
collet 10N24 (same as what is used for the standard collet body)
nozzle 54N15 or 54N14

The WP9 torch family uses different parts as the torch is smaller and so are the consumables.

I have purchased these items at weldingcity.com as well as other sources. No, I do not have any financial interest in weldingcity. I have found their products to be very good, their prices very competitive and their customer service great.

Ken