Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

Poland308 wrote:You must be a lefty?
Oh yeah that I am, but I'm practicing with both hands, just happened I used my left hand this time, not sure if I am better with one or the other.

Thanks LtBadd!
Rcc
  • Rcc
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

LS Customs
    Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 pm

DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

Rcc wrote:Image[/img]

Trying to get the pic posted not the link
You have the Image
LS Customs
    Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 pm

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Har!

My niece and nephew drove here from Florida for the Saints/Seahawks game. She's a Saints fan, He's a (rabid) Seahawks fan.

Wonder what they talked about on the ride home?

Steve S
    Sun May 15, 2016 8:14 am

flange.jpg
flange.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Did some 48,3mm x 3,2mm flanges to 1 1/2" threads today. Usualy only freehand for me, but I decided to try a little walking. Managed to plant the flange in a roll of tape, when I left it to cool off and have my self some coffee.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

LtBadd wrote:Nothing exciting, I had 14 of these steel legs that needed welded to plate.
Used ER70S-2 and ~180 amps
Leg1.jpg
Leg 2.jpg
Nicely done :)
I like to go high on amps for repetitive stuff too - I keep trying for "mig speed" - lol
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
PaterNovem
    Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:33 am

I made... a cube! 3" by 3" cube in .125" Aluminum. Just for practice. I might put some divots or silicon bronze some pips and make it a die.

150 amps on foot peddle but never got there. 3/32 electrode and 1/16 4043 filler. About 120 hz, no pulse.

Fun little project.
Attachments
IMG_4741.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG (50.03 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Save your life; turn off your TV.

MinnesotaDave wrote:
LtBadd wrote:Nothing exciting, I had 14 of these steel legs that needed welded to plate.
Used ER70S-2 and ~180 amps
Nicely done :)
I like to go high on amps for repetitive stuff too - I keep trying for "mig speed" - lol
Thanks Dave!
Richard
Website
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

A little tig end caps on frame...and some vertical up 309L stick which I haven't done it many years...tricky for me and I was laying down to start..lol. All off our Miller Bob Cat. Not perfect by any means but she'll hold.
Attachments
IMG_20161105_203621710.jpg
IMG_20161105_203621710.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
IMG_20161105_203642157.jpg
IMG_20161105_203642157.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:A little tig end caps on frame...and some vertical up 309L stick which I haven't done it many years...tricky for me and I was laying down to start..lol. All off our Miller Bob Cat. Not perfect by any means but she'll hold.
Good job Rick, I can't remember the last time I held a stinger...and I'm ok with that!
Richard
Website
Rick_H

LtBadd wrote:
Rick_H wrote:A little tig end caps on frame...and some vertical up 309L stick which I haven't done it many years...tricky for me and I was laying down to start..lol. All off our Miller Bob Cat. Not perfect by any means but she'll hold.
Good job Rick, I can't remember the last time I held a stinger...and I'm ok with that!
Yeah I tig 98% of the time, the stinger is about the last thing I grab, but I was doing some 7018 vertical on another frame so it was setup and ready, figured what the hell. Not too bad since I haven't run vertical stainless in 7+ years...lol man it just wants to fall out, since I had a round corner tube to flat frame and wanted to jam it in...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

I know your shocked it's stainless...lol My dabbing was on point tonight.
Attachments
IMG_20161109_231832928.jpg
IMG_20161109_231832928.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
IMG_20161109_191048515.jpg
IMG_20161109_191048515.jpg (29.97 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

I feel I did a disservice to this beautiful CnC intake by welding Nitrous nozzle bungs into it. They also required me to polish all of the sugaring around the weld so in doing so it polished the weld too. I dont know dont be too hard on me :)
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

From my Great Big Folder of Not Very Special Welds, a quick pic of some castors I recently welded onto some rough bases to ultimately attach to my band saw stand.

2mm castor plates, 3mm bases. The castors themselves had some sort of plating - looked like it might be zinc? Removed as much as I could and to my great surprise the metal didn't misbehave at all while welding.

2.4mm 2% Lanth electrode, 1.6mm ER70S6 filler. 105 amps. Functional rather than pretty.

All advice, tips, constructive criticism and outright abuse welcome. ;)

Kym

More unglamorous but useful stuff from the Mosquito Garage.

Wife tried repeatedly to throw out a couple of ugly old steel plant stands. I rescued them, chopped them up, tacked them together and added a repurposed cutting board as a top, and now have a slimline side table to hold my magazines and endless mugs of tea alongside my comfy chair. It looks like 'old person's furniture' but I don't care, it was free!

Kym

MosquitoMoto wrote:More unglamorous but useful stuff from the Mosquito Garage.

Wife tried repeatedly to throw out a couple of ugly old steel plant stands. I rescued them, chopped them up, tacked them together and added a repurposed cutting board as a top, and now have a slimline side table to hold my magazines and endless mugs of tea alongside my comfy chair. It looks like 'old person's furniture' but I don't care, it was free!

Kym
Good job Kym.
Richard
Website
Rick_H

I like it Kym..

I had to fix this mess.....I didn't take a pic of the repair actually turned out good, took 4 hours! Tried with backing tape to get all the way through but had issues since I could clamp the 13g sheet to keep it from moving. Plus the previous abortion of multiple repairs and grinding/sanding made the metal like 20g in spots. Would have been easier to cut the entire panel out, of it cracks again I'll go that route.
Attachments
Outside....someone put document pockets over the damn cracks...lol
Outside....someone put document pockets over the damn cracks...lol
IMG_20161112_171444386.jpg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
Inside....
Inside....
IMG_20161112_171459390.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:
More unglamorous but useful stuff from the Mosquito Garage.

Kym

kym
love repurposed projects. takes thought and skill.
nice job
women will glue a plate back together they will never use but
toss out perfectly good metal. go figure.....
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I convinced my wife to go through the local thrift shops (something she likes to do already) just to find that left over metal art that needs a little love and repurposing. She buys stuff for a dollar or two. I turn it into other stuff and sell it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Nice work Kym! A little paint touch up to stop the rust and whacko!! I like it.
OzFlo

Poland308 wrote:I convinced my wife to go through the local thrift shops (something she likes to do already) just to find that left over metal art that needs a little love and repurposing. She buys stuff for a dollar or two. I turn it into other stuff and sell it.
I like that Josh! Bravo!! :D
OzFlo

Rick_H wrote:I like it Kym..

I had to fix this mess.....I didn't take a pic of the repair actually turned out good, took 4 hours! Tried with backing tape to get all the way through but had issues since I could clamp the 13g sheet to keep it from moving. Plus the previous abortion of multiple repairs and grinding/sanding made the metal like 20g in spots. Would have been easier to cut the entire panel out, of it cracks again I'll go that route.
I'm often in awe of your work Rick. One day I might even be as half as good as you!

Ever look at something and see something else?

This is what happened when I stared into a junk shop clutterbox of cutlery. It became a praying mantis.

Kym