Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

At my experience level I have no business trying to weld razor blades but that didn't stop my curiosity at trying. For now one question.........when TIG welding at single digit amps if the argon flow is set too high can this (for lack of a better phrase) blow out or distort your arc???
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

I would have to say not to worry about the Argon flow at very low amps. One thing you do have to keep in mind is having a Very sharp and Clean tungsten. At those low amps the arc with come off any little burrs. You want it to come off right at the tip. A diamond wheel works best but if you have a old warn down belt for a sander you can use it to polish off any rough spots.

Best of luck and have fun!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A high argon flow can mess with you, but RedIron881 has it right. You need to damn near POLISH that tungsten to have proper arc control at very low amps.

Some machines aren't very stable in the single digits, either.

Steve
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

Another thing you can try if you think the gas is giving you problems. Put some scotch bright in the cup as a secondary defuser after the gas lens. I knew a older welder that rarely welded above 20 amps and he always had the second defuser. Could have been just an old habit but that guy could lay some amazing welds on Very small parts.

Just something to try out.
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

I'm agree with Steve about unstable arc at low amp.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65