Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Miggs
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:33 am

Hi folks. So I am new to welding and would like to pick up a second hand TIG welder so I can practise with it in my garage. No point investing in a brand new piece of kit at this stage. I’ve been looking at a range of used welders for sale online and there is plenty on the market to choose from. But as a newbie, I have no idea what to look for and what to be cautious of buying second hand. Are any particular brands or models a better choice used over others? Also, what potential faults should I be asking questions about when approaching sellers? I hope this isn’t too vague a question. Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice.
Last edited by Miggs on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

you might consider looking at your local welding
supplier. this way you will start a relationship
with them as you will also need gas, rods, gloves. helmet, etc.
then if you have an issue with the machine you have some recourse.
you will have recourse.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I would stay with red or blue. You can usually tell if a machine has been abused(not always) just by looking at it and checking out the shop it came from. I bought a used Miller Syncrowave 200 from a guy a few years ago. I researched and found out the machine had an arc-strike counter so I could see how much time the thing had on it. You could eat off the floor of the sellers shop and the machine looked brand new and he was telling the truth about how much he used the machine when I flipped it on and checked and it turned out to be a great machine. Buy more machine than you think you will need as you will outgrow it in the future if you decide to stay with welding. Don't buy a machine that looks like it fell out of a truck going down the highway. Guys that take pride in themselves and their work, usually baby their machines. Don't get in a hurry when buying used. Plenty of con-men out there...be wise. And don't buy anything from Harbor freight!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If you want to be able to do a bit of everything look a a power source that has both dc and ac output and high frequency start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Miggs
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:33 am

I guess when it comes to something like this that buying from a bricks and mortar business is possibly a better way to go than buying online. Thanks for the pointers guys.
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

What power do you have available. Many tig machines are single phase, but the old transformer machines can draw up in the 70-100 amp range. Used inverter machines will probably be difficult to come by, at least any that you could trust to be good. Be aware some used machines may not have torches or foot pedals included or may need to be replaced, and that can set you back a bit.
When you stop in the store check out Linclon's square wave 200. You might be surprised when you compare against a used machine how affordable they are.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
Jimmyjohn
    Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:03 pm

How about a used stick welder. Maybe like a miller thunderbolt or something similar. I always see them cheap used. Then you could pick up a tig torch and adaptor. May only be scratch start but perfect to learn with. Just a thought.
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I looked for used Snycrowaves and Dynasty's last winter. I came to the conclusion that resale prices were too high and I may as well buy a new one with a warranty for not much more. If you want a good deal on used you should probably go to an auction. I haven't seen any great deals on ebay or craigslist.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc