Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

So I had another idea that complemented my VERY (in)expensive Harbor Freight $40 grinder. Drill some holes in the tool guide and no more tungsten walk off the cliff! So far so good and it's far from worse than using just the tool rest alone. I feed the tungsten from the bottom of the holes in whatever hole I choose and then grind away. The various holes are nothing special in the sense of angles except I figure each one with some forethought will provide a reasonable grind angle.

I use the far left for steel, the center for stainless steel, and the right for aluminum. Guess which material I had the hardest time with and I should note I've spent more time with aluminum than anything else ;)
Attachments
DSC03800.JPG
DSC03800.JPG (29.4 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
    Mon May 11, 2015 9:00 pm

I did a calculation to determine how much rotation would be on the tungsten if it were spun against a grinding wheel.

Grinding wheel surface speed in inches per minute > 6 inch wheel, 3450 rpm.
TT X 6" X 3450 rpm = 65031 inches per minute

Tungsten spin drill rotation in degrees per minute > 950 rpm, 360 degrees per revolution.
950 rpm X 360° = 342,000 degrees per minute

Grinding wheel travel per degree of tungsten rotation
65031 "/min ÷ 342,000 °/min = 0.190 inches per degree of tungsten rotation.

So if you are putting a 3 to 1 taper on a 1/16 tungsten you will have only 1 degree of spiral (rotation) on the grind.

:)
Thermal Arc Ultraflex 350 Pulse
Thermal Arc Feeder HMC-410
Thermal Arc ArcMaster 400MSTP
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Here is mine. Image

Diamond blade is HF replacement for their circular saw sharpener
Rcc
  • Rcc
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Update got the new sharpener last week. Very nice machine can adjust the angle from 10-60 degrees. And puts a real nice point and finish on the tungsten. The only thing I would like it to be able to sharpen 1/8" tungsten. But I bought it knowing that.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

What machine did you get? My Tech South came with 3 collets. l bought the fourth so l can do .040 - 1/8".
Rcc
  • Rcc
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 pm

I ended up buying the diamond ground piranha 2. I bought a refurbished machine which was a lot less then a new and still the 1 year warranty
jauguston
    Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

I have the adjustable angle Tec South grinder and am quite pleased with it.

Jim