Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

as much as i hate the idea, i cant get any helium. they claim there is a helium shortage. the only time they can get it, is for the places they had contracted before this. so here is my question. they sell argon/hydrogen, could this be used on aluminum?? i know it traditionally been used for tig welding stainless. any one know or try this?
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Sorry, but argon-hydrogen blends are primarily used on austenitic stainless steel (300 series), nickel, and nickel alloys. Hydrogen enhanced mixtures are not recommended to weld carbon or low-alloy steel, or any of the copper, aluminum, or titanium alloys since cracking or porosity will occur due to the absorption of hydrogen. :cry:
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
nova_70_383

thanks for replying. i didnt think it would work, look like i will have to wait until the shortage is over.

What is the pupose for the argon/helium mix. Machine limitations and material thickness?? If so, try using a preheat.
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
nova_70_383

didnt run into a need just yet. wanted to get set up incase i needed it. pre heat is an great option as well. is the target temp 200 deg F ?

Yeah, try to keep it around 200 deg. F.
You don't want to get too high on the temp or you will start to run into microstructure changes in the aluminum.
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
tireman
    Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 pm

what area are you from? i talked to someone in Houston and they have a shortage too. Nasa has some kind of project going on and they were buying all the helium from the surrounding area. Tri-matheson, Airgas, and others were getting complaints from there customers as they had no helium.
nova_70_383

i am from the north eastern wisconsin. im told i cant get any for the whole 2012 year :cry:
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

"Nasa has some kind of project going on and they were buying all the helium from the surrounding area."

The government must really be broke if NASA is going back to launching balloons into space!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
harleyotto

I think so!
At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.Blancpain Watches