Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

So I have recently been welding a bit of .035" wall 3" 625 Inconel tubing, practicing for an upcoming exhaust project. Everything is welding up just fine however I find the arc starts leave allot to be desired. I have been told this is somewhat an issue with 625. Just wondering if anyone has any advice to get a more stable arc fire up with a Dynasty? My current setup is 35amps, 3/32 tri mix hybrid tungsten, #12 Furick FUPA cup with my Dynasty 200DX. I also believe my start up amperage is set to default settings. Here is a picture of my first ever Inconel weld
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 479 times
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

on dynasty 350-
I prefer ceriated for DC, the tri mix doesn't impress me

.035 wall and using 3/32" OD tungsten? why not 1/16" OD?
(as you're probably aware-the tungsten size will vary the arc characteristics,
significantly-at the same machine settings.)

-if your 200 has the 'blue lightning' arc start-that's the default mode for arc start

-arc start can be selected in the menu to the tungsten size

-99% of time, AC or DC-I prefer to set arc start in the Gen (generic) mode
leaving all parameters alone, other than amps-set to 30

-this allows for a nice, tickling, little start that's ramped up as you wish
(the blue lightning is a massive blast off of something like a 100 amps).
I like something more gentle and civilized.
AFR_Autoworks
    Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 am

The only reason I use 3/32 tungsten is because the diffuser in the cup I use is only designed to be used with 3/32 tungsten. Thank you very much for your input! I may end up giving 1/16 thoriated a try to see where that gets me. I do remember this being an issue for me even when I used 1/16 to weld two razor blades together.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

AFR_Autoworks wrote:The only reason I use 3/32 tungsten is because the diffuser in the cup I use is only designed to be used with 3/32 tungsten. Thank you very much for your input! I may end up giving 1/16 thoriated a try to see where that gets me. I do remember this being an issue for me even when I used 1/16 to weld two razor blades together.

FWIW.. I asked Mike F about running a smaller tungsten with his setup since I use a lot of 1/16". Just have to stay around 60amps so you don't melt the defuser
Attachments
IMG_20160719_124247.jpg
IMG_20160719_124247.jpg (52.58 KiB) Viewed 442 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB