Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Howdy!
New here. I'm a hack welder just getting into tig.
Thanks Jodie for the vids. Got a tig finger. Hope it helps. Also got a tigpen (tho I could made one) for one less thing to think about at first (also I have to get some supple gloves)
I'm a machinist with a lot of maintaining on my plate. Straightening could be really useful-post weld and warpath from other causes.
Is there a double secret search word for this type of video?

Also, can I get shocked doing tig?
Thanks much,
Nelson
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
Kevin_Holbrook
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:02 am

keith fenner shaft straightening
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Nelson,
Can you get shocked doing tig?

Yes, if you make yourself part of the circuit, don't wear any protective gear, with bare feet while standing in a puddle of water.
I exaggerate slightly but you get the picture, it can happen, but usually because of a machine, connection or safety issue, its not a usual occurence.

If its happening to you, the guys will want to know who,what, where, when and which side of your mouth was your tongue sticking out of, machine, settings etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....

Here's a video of Tom Lipton doing some good heat straightening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z7cCer ... lLIiWS9bS5

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

You can feel a good sensation down your spine if you leave your filler metal in the arc zone as you establish an arc. Really the only thing to worry about is if you have a pace maker or something. Other than that all it will do is wake you up really quick.
Last edited by Farmwelding on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Can you control tig heat well enough for small shafts straightning? Been a solids machinist and now mold maker for years. I'm a hack welder with gas and Flux core.
I just welded ss and aluminum with an Everlast 164si in the last week. I'm still a hack but now I have decent penetration and not pretty but not ugly beads. Opened up a new world for me.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.