Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ian_gregg
    Fri May 13, 2016 11:20 pm

I went shopping for some Al Bronze filler and found some available locally in Brisbane, Australia but it only comes in a 5kg pack for $400!
I reckon that about 0.5kg would be enough for me for a while. It is 2.5mm diameter. If I can find enough people who will buy the rest for my cost plus shipping then I would get it, split it and post out the parcels. Any takers?

Anyone got any source of small quantities? Anyone got a large quantity lying around that would like to sell me a small quantity?

At the same time I got a quote for 5kg of 1.6mm Si Bronze filler for $230 if anyone is keen on a similar deal with that.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate,

I contacted the good folk at www.bobthewelder.com (site closed at the moment, unfortunately) about a hobby pack of silicon bronze filler. They happily complied and made a new feature on their page where you could buy 5 rods or something for like 25 bucks. they may well have, or be happy to accommodate a similar thing for AlBronze. They are also on ebay)

Kindest regards, Mick
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I had the same problem when sourcing al bronze myself a while back. I too needed only a small amount to repair an antique light fitting and not willing to buy 5kg. My solution was to buy small quantity from the uk in smaller diameter wire and spin it in a drill to make a few reasonable filler rods. Probably was eBay. Check it out.
It came in a coil.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman

ian_gregg
    Fri May 13, 2016 11:20 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey mate,

I contacted the good folk at http://www.bobthewelder.com (site closed at the moment, unfortunately) about a hobby pack of silicon bronze filler. They happily complied and made a new feature on their page where you could buy 5 rods or something for like 25 bucks. they may well have, or be happy to accommodate a similar thing for AlBronze. They are also on ebay)

Kindest regards, Mick
The website comes up but there is not much there, not even contact details. Do you have a phone number or email address for them?
cb400chopper
    Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:20 am

Try gasweld if u have one nearby my local has them individually however a bit pricey

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Its down for maintenance at the moment, until the 25th. I can't remember how they contacted me, Maybe Facebook messenger.

Mick
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

How many pieces do you need? I can get it from a local shop here by the piece or by the box, ~$10/lb if I remember correctly from when I bought a few rods to play with after seeing Jody's video talking about it.
Depending on whether coiled/folded would be acceptable, I would imagine that it could be sent somewhat affordably to AUS.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hampdon's also sell Sil Bronze on EvilBay, $50 for 400 grams in 2.4mm, delivered.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4mm-Silico ... xyslRSnF0k

Still not exactly cheap but a handy quantity if you're not using much of it and in my experience the Hampdon's people are very good to deal with.

Kym
Coldman

Op was asking for al bronze

Coldman wrote:Op was asking for al bronze
Oops. Gotta stop drinking at lunch...

Kym

I get that, My point is that Bob the welder store were more than happy to split and sell smaller amounts of sil bro, so no reason why they might not do it for al bro,
Coldman

I hear you my friend. I don't have the same confidence in the possibility because al bronze is so rare and expensive in oz. Most lws never even heard of it. First I heard of it was watching Jody.
We have to follow our American brothers in welding technology mostly and they have to follow us in beer (mostly). Fair trade I say.

I hear that their beer is like making love in a canoe......f&^%ing close to water.
Coldman

Yep, and the water. .....

weldin mike 27 wrote:I hear that their beer is like making love in a canoe......f&^%ing close to water.

Classic Monty Python!

Kym
CanMoulder
    Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Not sure if it helps but here in Canada i have used AL bronze welding rod when repairing Plastic injection Moulds
you might want to talk to someone in there Maintenance departments

I don't think we have any here
Sorry

Kev