Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
quadrod
    Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 am

I have and alpha tig 200x and when I am welding in AC mode, I get some popping. Does not seem to matter if using hi a/c hz or in pules mode. Welding thin aluminum, .035".

quadrod wrote:I have and alpha tig 200x and when I am welding in AC mode, I get some popping. Does not seem to matter if using hi a/c hz or in pules mode. Welding thin aluminum, .035".
Do you see something going on with the arc, or is it coming from the machine?
Richard
Website
quadrod

It is with the arc. Not in the machine. What does an unstable arc sound like?

It could be at the very best, difficult to accurately describe a sound and diagnose this issue.

Can you take a short video and post that?

Does the weld show some anomaly that you could post a photo of?

Does the tungsten look normal after making a weld?
Richard
Website
quadrod

Here is a video, can't see much but you can hear what I'm talking about.
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Can you show us the tungsten after welding and the weld itself?

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
quadrod

Will try and get a pic tomorrow of tungsten, it is an .040" 2% lanthenated running at 25-30 amps. on .035" 6061 t6 aluminum tubing. I get the same popping with a 3/32 tungsten too. My welds are not pretty so don't laugh at them.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

That sounds a lot like the rattle you get with too high of argon flow rates.
What are you set at for flow?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
quadrod

I called AHP today and asked about the popping on A/C welding and found out that this machine will only go down to 20amps min. Welding this thin aluminum tubing is right at the min amps when I start, I had my son watch the amp readout and am fluctuating between 25 and 30 amps when in the bead. So this is not a problem with the machine, I just have to watch my start amps. Thanks for the reply's and putting up with a noob.
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

I had something like this with my Syncrowave. Later realized it was my arc length. For me it was the machine turning on the HF to reestablish the arc.