Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
opiesvtx
    Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm

I cut a brew cart apart it was 12 inches wide and 4 feet long when I did it sprang apart it was under serious tension, I need to make it 3 inches wider for this guy. I cut the four extension pieces to make it wider but the dang table is now a quarter inch out of square it was about a 1/16 out before I cut it. I mean now when I line up the filler pieces the tubes point in every direction but straight across they were straight before I cut it and my filler pieces are all square as well as the cuts down the middle. I used a cut of wheel ziped right through I could handle the pieces by hand after cutting didn't get it hot really. here is what I need help with its 1 and 1/4 inch tube and 1/8 wall, how do I straighten the tubes? I want to use my cut off wheel its super thin cut three sides of the tube tap it square weld in the center pieces then weld up the cut lines in the tube. I hope that makes sense. any suggestions would be helpful. here is a pic of the table cut in half.
Attachments
P1010446-1.jpg
P1010446-1.jpg (164.93 KiB) Viewed 687 times
opiesvtx

Here is how far it is out.
Attachments
P1010456-1.jpg
P1010456-1.jpg (124.94 KiB) Viewed 681 times
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Have you tried clamping some other heavy piece of stock along the outside like a splint?

This might pull everything in line.

Clamp up both sides like that before you tack it together so you are not fighting it on the other side.

Does that make sense?
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

I had this exact problem with some s/s food tray trolleys for a kitchen. As soon as i cut them they popped out of shape. I cut one same as you, in the centre and it never went back together well. All the others I cut right at the edge of the top where it joins the leg. It doesn't matter where you add the bit. You may just have to re-centre a few bits, (if applicable).

Try making a jig on a heavy table, mark out the shape the frame should be and weld some blocks so you can push the frame up to them with a wedge against another block welded on the outside but with a gap for the wedge. I know exactly what I am trying to say. Although its may be confusing crap to others. Sorry.

Hope it helps
Attachments
table jig.png
table jig.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Hi again,

If you haven't got access to a heavy table and steel wedges,(yes be careful of contaminating the s/s) you could make a jig out of heavy wood with the blocks screwed into place. Good for a one off job. Just remember to swap your "boilermakers hammer" for a bit of a more gentle touch.

Mick
opiesvtx

Well I got it all put back together, all it took was a big vise a bottle jack and a ratcheting strap, made it 3 inches wider added a burner shield and added the 4 bars in the top. glad its all done.
Attachments
2012-01-05 18.00.24.jpg
2012-01-05 18.00.24.jpg (103.8 KiB) Viewed 656 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nice work.

Steve

Hi there,

Im glad it worked out easily for you. The way i suggested was a little over the top. I often think to hard about things. I guess it shows that I don't have to figure out too much where i work. Turn up, Make sparks, Go Home.

KISS- Keep it simple stupid. I don't always apply this method.

Mick