Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm a newbie hobbyist welder learning to TIG. I've been getting my seat time by designing and building my worktable, cart, mobility bases, etc. in steel. I've also been practicing on my aluminum. In the future I hope to build some furniture pieces and take a stab at bicycle building.

I have a 2015 AHP 200 which is capable of DC, AC (up to 200Hz) and pulse form 0.5 to 5 PPS. For whatever reason (i like nice stuff), I'm always on the lookout for a Dynasty. I have come across a Dynasty 200SD (box only for under $2k) but know it's upgradeable to a DX for $500-ish in parts.

So I'm wondering if the added features of selectable waveforms and higher frequency pulsing (up to 400Hz?) all packaged in a Miller blue box is something I should consider at a price tag under $2.5K? How much under 2.5K depends on what I can get the SD for. I would still have to come up with a pedal, torch, and cables. The new 210DXs boxes are $3.3K-ish.

I realize it's a personal decision (finances, goals, etc.) but was wondering from a technical standpoint, will these features be a worthwhile upgrade? Or just keep melting rods with my AHP until I outgrow it?

opinions?

thanks
steve
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I think the 200DX only goes up to 250Hz, but I could be wrong. For sure the new 210DX goes up to 400Hz though. You'd be better off just buying a new 210DX IMO.

Since you're still "a newbie hobbyist welder learning to TIG" I would think the APH 200 would be more then enough to continue to improve your skills with. Your skills will take you further then an upgraded power source, later as you improve and perhaps find it's time to move beyond a hobbyist then there'll always be the latest tech waiting for you.

If on the other hand $$ isn't an issue then I would recommend a new 210DX as you'd have the latest with a warranty.
Richard
Website
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

The Dynasty 200's from serial number LK450153L and following, the board needing replaced only costs $110.

If memory serves me right, these are machines built from 2010 onward. The price listed is from Miller4Less. As to what only needs replacing, this is from information I found online researching the same topic. So, I am unable to vouch from personal experience this information is valid. With that said, I do plan on giving it a try; since the part's cost is not really expensive for my machine's build year.

Part# 244027 MEMBRANE, SWITCH CONTROL DYNASTY 200 DX
sru_tx

Dynasty200SD,
I have already contacted the seller and know that the serial number is old enough that it requires the $500 board. I suspect if it was the $110 upgrade that blue box would be sitting in my garage already.

Thanks for the other opinions. I needed a sanity check. While I'm blessed that I'm not constantly worried about $, I don't have too much of it sitting around that I can throw it around without serious consideration. Deep down I had a feeling that given a decent machine, working on skills always trumps upgrading. Back to the batcave to work on my skills.

thanks!
steve

hardhatdiver
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:56 pm

so I've never heard of upgrading the 200sd. so what a new board and face plate and your off and running?
bwolfie
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:16 pm

I had a 2008 200DX I purchased at an auction. It lasted me a year before it crapped out on me. It would turn on but hang in boot mode. Quoted $1500 in repairs. Moved it on and purchased a 210DX. The Dynasty spoils you for adjustments. And the 210 has almost paid for itself in only a few months. If you have the means I highly recommend getting one.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

I would not spend that much on a machine that old. I know that dynasty machines keep their resale, but that's an awful lot when you consider you are 2/3-3/4 of the way to the cost of a 210DX. I suggest using your current machine until you feel held back by it and understand the reasons WHY you are being held back. Then you can make your decision, and have more cash saved up too.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I'd have concerns spending that kind of money and no warranty. I'd find the extra and get a new 210 Plus warranty. Watch for sales at Zoro tools
sru_tx

A big thanks to all for the input and reality check.

Borrowing a phrase from a former bike racer, it's not about the tool. I'll keep working on my skills and fertilizing my money tree until it's time to harvest.

steve

PS: Hardhatdiver, apparently a new front panel is all that's needed to access the functionality that's already in the controller. A google search will find info (weldingweb.com I believe) regarding what's needed. Older models require a $500 front panel and newer models only require a $110 panel.

hardhatdiver
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:56 pm

gives me something to think about. thanks steve