Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Kriky
    Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:49 pm

I know folks are sometimes using duel tanks, duel regulators or Y splits with values on each side of the split for there purge feed.

My question is:

Could you split the gas quick release from the front panel of the welder?

This in my mind would make life a lot easier. Step on the pedal and gas starts flowing. Take foot off pedal and gas stops flowing. It would be a bit of a trial and error to get the correct CFM but once that was achieved it seems this would be easier. I don't do much stainless steel so to be able to just pop on a quick release T coupler would be a good solution when I do. I don't want to spend money on another tank and or a duel regulator.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Kriky
Kriky

Hobbiest
Everlast PowerTig 210EXT
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Split it before the solenoid. You need to have the purge gas running a while before welding to flush out all oxygen.
How long depends on volume and flow rate. You can still do it with a simple T, but add some form of shut off valve for the purge line. Use a pea shooter to check flow rate on both lines and adjust as needed.

Here is how I set up a simple purge using cheap pneumatic parts:
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=7826
Last edited by AndersK on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kriky

I was planning on doing something like that with the Y split but then I thought why not split it after the welder.

Why not do it this way? Is it a bad idea? Also, I would think it would be an inexpensive way to do it?

As far as removing the oxygen, that can be done with a small tap of the pedal to get the post flow going which I run at 6secs. Long enough time to clear the line and get some argon over the welding area.

I'm sure there are folks out there that have tried it this way. Good or Bad or Terrible idea?

Thanks
Kriky

Hobbiest
Everlast PowerTig 210EXT
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I think teeing into the line after the welder will cause lots of issues. I.e. Proper flow to the torch.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Kriky wrote: Why not do it this way? Is it a bad idea? Also, I would think it would be an inexpensive way to do it?

As far as removing the oxygen, that can be done with a small tap of the pedal to get the post flow going which I run at 6secs. Long enough time to clear the line and get some argon over the welding area.

I'm sure there are folks out there that have tried it this way. Good or Bad or Terrible idea?

Thanks
Tapping into the same line as the torch will require you to adjust the flowmeter and the valve on the purge line so A) when you step on the peddle the purge line doesn't take too much away from the torch, and B) proper adjustment of the purge value so when you step on the peddle you still have enough gas flow to purge whatever it is you're welding. I have done this but never with the "Y" valve downstream of the machine, always attached at the argon tank. I think this could work but only with a very small volume that needs purged.

Once a volume is purged of the air it only requires a small flow to maintain the purge if the part is properly setup.
Richard
Website
Kriky

Thanks Josh and Richard.

I think I might go the Y set up route. I'm going to be welding a tank together that will be 12"x12"x8" with some bungs. I was thinking of buying a piece of copper 12" and drilling some holes into it and clamping it to the joints and with the bungs I was going to screw the fitting I was going to use and attack the purge hose to the fitting with some aluminum foil to block the hole.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Kriky
Kriky

Hobbiest
Everlast PowerTig 210EXT
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

If you restrict the area to just outside the bungs it will probably work when youre running such long pre flow.

You roughly need to exchange the volume 4 times to bring the oxygen down to a few ppm.

Here's a dual flow meter for about $100
Richard
Website