Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
duckhunter27
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Taking a welding test tomorrow , havent taken one in a few years . Is anyone familiar with ASME section IX ? Just trying to get some general info regarding the procedures beings im not familiar with it . Thanks in advanced
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yep.

Give me a few minutes, and I'll get back to you.

Welcome, by the way...

Steve S

Awright, duckhunter27,

You put this in the TIG section, asking ASME IX....

I'm guessing your coupon is 2" sch. 40, 304SS in 6G?

Steve S
duckhunter27

Yes sir , thats what im assuming . And thanks for the quick reply . Im not familiar with this code . I did see this is a boiler and pressure vessel cert.

The WPS is usually surprisingly broad.

The test can be either a four-bend (Two root, two face), or an x-ray, and still be acceptable.

The parameters are very broad.
Gap of 3/32 +/- 1/16.
Land of 3/32 +/- 1/16
Etc, Etc.

The keys are: You must be flush or better on the inside (no suck-back or underfill.) Pay attention to interpass temperature, so you don't cook it (especially for a bend test). Brush well, and make sure your cap is proud (above flush) all the way around. Don't over-fill it, 1/16" is more than enough.

Don't cheat... The CWI can tell a roll-out from a 6G.

How you do it, root and cap, depends on your style... I like a cool root, slow keyhole, fill, dab, in freehand style.

Steve S

That test, BTW, will cert you to 1/2" wall thickness on pipe, carbon or stainless, and "unlimited" for fillet welds.

Steve S
duckhunter27

Im not really sure why im even certifing to this capacity for the job we are doing . It will be pretty much coupling welds except for the flanges . A little over kill if you ask me , but ill take the certification if they wanna pay for it . Lol this all great stuff to know and i cant thank you enough for your time otto . What would be a good starting amperage for this ? If i remeber correct in one of jodys videos he said in stainless use 2/3 of amps you would for carbon ?

I had to recertify recently, as I had a code weld to do, and was out of date (you must have a passing weld in the last six months, or you must requalify). If I recall, my root was done in the neighborhood of 80A (working with a pedal, so variable), and my cap was around 100A.

Good luck on the test! I prefer an x-ray to a bend, as it's slightly more forgiving.

Steve S
duckhunter27

I appreciate all the help and quick replies. I havent had to make a cert weld on pipe in quit awhile. I'll be sure and let you kniw the outcome and thanks again .
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Steve is right, I did this last year my root was at 80amps, hot pass at 90 and cap was 100. 3/32" filler, 3/32" gap 4 tacks, brushed heavily was not allowed to feather tacks. They made use weld bottom to top, so welding with both hands helps, doing it with your dominate hand only is possible but its awkward. I used the keyhole and dab as well.

Let it cool good in between passes, brush is very good. We had to prep our coupons, I lightly sanded the bevel and outside surface of the pipe about 1" in. We had to have a flush I'd and no more then 1/16" above on he cap.

Bend test as noted.... I didn't have a single defect. It was nice having my TIG finger....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Otto Nobedder wrote:I had to recertify recently, as I had a code weld to do, and was out of date (you must have a passing weld in the last six months, or you must requalify). If I recall, my root was done in the neighborhood of 80A (working with a pedal, so variable), and my cap was around 100A.

Good luck on the test! I prefer an x-ray to a bend, as it's slightly more forgiving.

Steve S
Is the requirement of a "passing weld" every 6 months a part of section 9? By passing I presume you mean a tested weld. Even if you're with the same employer and using the process you still have to test every 6 months to remain certified?
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I had to recertify recently, as I had a code weld to do, and was out of date (you must have a passing weld in the last six months, or you must requalify). If I recall, my root was done in the neighborhood of 80A (working with a pedal, so variable), and my cap was around 100A.

Steve S
Is the requirement of a "passing weld" every 6 months a part of section 9? By passing I presume you mean a tested weld. Even if you're with the same employer and using the process you still have to test every 6 months to remain certified?
Correct.

If I've done an actual code weld that's been tested (and passed, obviously) within the last six months, I'm golden, and my certification continues from the date of that weld. If it's been more than six months since one of my welds has been tested to code, I have to do a coupon before I can do an actual code weld.

Steve S
duckhunter27

Thanks again guys for all the help . I believe the test went well , as soon as i find out the results ill be sure to let you guys know.
duckhunter27

Just an update guys , thanks for all the help i did pass the test. It was 2 test actually, i had to take a stick pipe test as well , talk about a surprise. Both test were taken in carbon schd 120 .tig test welded out with 309L. Stick was tig root and hot pass then stick the rest. I appreciate all the help guys

duckhunter27 wrote:Just an update guys , thanks for all the help i did pass the test. It was 2 test actually, i had to take a stick pipe test as well , talk about a surprise. Both test were taken in carbon schd 120 .tig test welded out with 309L. Stick was tig root and hot pass then stick the rest. I appreciate all the help guys
Congratulations!
Richard
Website
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Congrats... I always hate those surprise, your also doing this test, that makes my nerves go crazy for a few mins.. Lol

Sch 120 nice and thick, holds the heat...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
duckhunter27

Yea i hated it . Made my nerves appear for sure. The bad part is i dont get to do all this code work very often . I had extra nerves already . All in all it worked out