Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Tried this today and can't tell if I'm pooling the base metal as well as the rod or not. Any tips would be great. Thought I would put this over some of my welds.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hollywood1 wrote:Tried this today and can't tell if I'm pooling the base metal as well as the rod or not. Any tips would be great. Thought I would put this over some of my welds.
You are going to pool a little bit of your base metal. Keeping it at "a little bit" is the hard part. I played with brazing rod for awhile and what I did to minimized melting the base metal was to turn down the amps to below what you would need to get an immediate puddle in your base. This allows the brazing rod to melt without including the base. It takes a little practice. Remember you're not actually welding your metals, you are only bonding them. I have not found too many applications where SilBr is useful although it is pretty when done right.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Unless your part is a non -stressed component, it's not a good move to put bronze over a weld. If you get a crack or have damage around a structural joint, repair becomes a real pain.

Use AC for the silicon bronze, the cleaning action makes the bronze flow easier and it's far easier to see base metal temperature.
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Thank you for the pointers. I appreciate it. I saw this done on a motorcycle frame. Looks great. Thanks John.
CanMoulder
    Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi all
We use it sometimes in mold making
it creates a wear pad for when two pieces of the same steel need to slide against each other.

i have seen it work harden and become brittle

i have also used it to quick fix small problems in areas that are hard to hand work
or quick in the press fixes because it is a very malleable material that welds nice to Steel

Thanks
Kev