Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I can see it now!

Need it welded? Call "Bag-Lady Welding!"

Everything you'll ever need, on a buggy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, that's a brilliant re-purpose. :geek:

Steve S
airrj
    Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:31 am

Here is my first addition to the look what I did thread.

It is a frame for a 6.2kW solar array. It was entirely built out of 2x3x11ga tubing and is designed to stand up to the annual 80 mph winds of Wyoming. Nothing crazy exciting on the fab/welding side, but still the largest thing I have ever built. Here are the final results:

Thanks for looking.

R.J.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Nothing like starting small, eh R.J?

:D

Nice work.

Kym
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Looks good just starting to see a lot of those pop up around here.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

My first TIG root pass.

Not bad, according to the instructor.

(1/2" plate, 1/8" open root, 150A, WC17 Flex torch, gas lens w/12 cup, 1/8" 2% Thoriated)
Attachments
12046672_1240036956011421_4738130892794349830_n.jpg
12046672_1240036956011421_4738130892794349830_n.jpg (101.03 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1

Nice and neat, Rocket.

Your sig made me Google 'friction stir welding' which, in turn, gave me a nosebleed.

Kym

MosquitoMoto wrote:Nice and neat, Rocket.

Your sig made me Google 'friction stir welding' which, in turn, gave me a nosebleed.

Kym
It was a 37.5degree bevel cut on each side (more room to practice and nail down technique) with a free style weave. I did not walk the cup...yet. I prefer to learn the hard way first to get it out of the way.

Nosebleed?
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1

RocketSurgeon wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:Nice and neat, Rocket.

Kym
It was a 37.5degree bevel cut on each side (more room to practice and nail down technique) with a free style weave. I did not walk the cup...yet. I prefer to learn the hard way first to get it out of the way.

Nosebleed?
Nosebleed as in 'this technical stuff is making me feel dizzy!' :shock:

Kym

MosquitoMoto wrote:
Nosebleed as in 'this technical stuff is making me feel dizzy!' :shock:

Kym
That's how I felt when I got into aerospace. I felt like my brain was going to turn into a puddle of goo from the massive amounts of technical info, policies and procedures. :shock:

Then came the tolerances of the build. I think that's when my eye started twitching. :lol:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
airrj
    Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:31 am

Poland308 wrote:Looks good just starting to see a lot of those pop up around here.
Thanks. The are becoming much more cost effective rapidly. My neighbor installed them 8 years ago and per watt we paid 10% of what he did. In just 8 years. Also, 90% of the system was manufactured in the US or Canada.
    Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 pm

My first alumimium project. It's a outside "Instrument panel" for my brother's boat. All though, there wont be any gauges there, just a steering wheel.

I enjoyed working with alu, but maaan i had problems with the welding machine. Sometimes the machine just didnt weld.. The arc was there, but no heat envolving. And sometimes the arc wandered all up in the torch.. I dipped the tungsten often so maybe it was due to contamination. Sorry for the bad engrish :D

IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG (94.68 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG (94.68 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Attachments
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG (93.01 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG (76.51 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I made this watts system for a pretty big diesel coach {21000 EW}. Think home on wheels... Guy was looking to get most of the steering issues resolved. Said that it was somewhat of a fight in crosswinds,passing other road tractors and sway issues. I told him that I had the software to lay out all this to work with the chassis and could make and install it. Odd lot of molly tube,1- 1/2 x 1/4 sq tube , 3/16,1/4, 1/2" plate, rods ends and the like hardware. He specified it be a bolt on item...complied most of the way on that. He is a happy camper now...no pun intended. I know it was overbuilt, but covered more than problems he was looking to cure- plus he's just a good guy and friend. Home on meds after operation today...just wanted to share. Job done last fall. pix out of order...sorry
Attachments
0107150927.jpg
0107150927.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
0106151454.jpg
0106151454.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
0106151445.jpg
0106151445.jpg (45.36 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
Last edited by jumpinjackflash on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash

Genny moved out to get up into the hole to get all the pieces in place. Done deal here with all the goodies installed. Has a few long road trips on it and is doing it's job as reported. The suspension on these are axles/wheels mounted onto an "H" frame and suspended via airbags to the frame. Seems a lot of these could be made a little better for as much as they charge to drive off in one. Underneath these trucks are busier than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs with hydraulics, plumbing, pneumatic and electrical items.
Attachments
0107151150.jpg
0107151150.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
0107151111.jpg
0107151111.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash

Hope you recovered well after the op, Jack.

Some nice work on show here. Can you tell us more about the welding processes used?

Kym

I take it the principle is to eliminate toe-steer by fixing the axle rigidly from transverse motion?

Nicely done.

Steve S

Actually the trailing arms and bags are all that the front end was riding on. It was tracking all on its play in the sway bar link bushings...I know they were screaming for a break! All mig welded with Millermatic 250...Tig on the .120" round link bars" rod ends.
BTW Thanks for moving this post fast !
J.J. Flash

This sort of work is great testimony to the faith you have in your skills - to send someone down the road supported by your work, secure in the knowledge they will be not only happier with their handling but safe, too.

I look forward to the day when I am confident enough to weld functional parts such as these. Well done.

Kym

It's not like that at all...just a supportive roll. Not anywhere near the thoughts I have about my airplane stuff. That work is coming near to finished project after 6 years. Learned a lot...even after getting signed off to fly some years ago. I will post a link to the website that will have a detailed story with pics of that adventure after it has flown. I am still learning how to weld...what was I thinking? Thanks for boosting me on a tough day.
J.J. Flash

Moving the post so fast was just a coincidence of timing. I apparently logged on just after you'd PMd me, as I'd replied and moved the post before my email alert told me I had a PM.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Kym,

It's a stereotype that moviegoers recognize. While much of rural America owns clothes dryers, and will use them, we will also gladly use solar power. This is perceived by the "upwardly mobile" as penny-pinching, and thus a sign of poverty.

I'd estimate less then 10% of us regularly dry clothes on the line anymore, as the automatic dryer has become so common. So it's easy for the other 90% to see the image of clothes on a line as a representation of "I can't afford a dryer".

A mistaken notion, but then, the filmmaker does not show a man in his Khakis and Polo shirt gathering clothes from the line.

Steve S
Drying cloths outside is very common in China
Richard
Website

jumpinjackflash wrote:It's not like that at all...just a supportive roll. Not anywhere near the thoughts I have about my airplane stuff. That work is coming near to finished project after 6 years. Learned a lot...even after getting signed off to fly some years ago. I will post a link to the website that will have a detailed story with pics of that adventure after it has flown. I am still learning how to weld...what was I thinking? Thanks for boosting me on a tough day.

I look forward to seeing the aircraft stuff online and to seeing your creation get off the ground.

My Dad is a home aircraft builder who has built two planes - a Rutan Long Ez and a Van's Aircraft RV6. So I have more than a passing interest in flight.

Kym
jlhawtho
    Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:23 pm

I make shooting targets with ar500 gongs for extra money I figured I would give out the idea to fellow welders. I sell these at the local gun shows.
Attachments
TARGET GONG 3.JPG
TARGET GONG 3.JPG (164.7 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
jlhawtho
    Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Another picture of the target and stand.
Attachments
TARGET GONG 1_crop.jpg
TARGET GONG 1_crop.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
Poland308

Do you use hardened plate for the target?

Josh
Poland308

Oops didn't scroll down far enough I see the ar now. :shock:

Josh