Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jack_of_all
    Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm welding some quarter inch rod together and most of the time II try to imitate Jody - though usually I can't achieve his level. Sometimes though, I just want to build up a lot of fill metal quickly and fuse it all together. If I pull out to a really long arc, everything gets real hot and I can fuse rods together quickly. I'm not welding rocket ships. Is this a valid technique, or am I going to go to hell for this sin?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

jack_of_all wrote:I'm welding some quarter inch rod together and most of the time II try to imitate Jody - though usually I can't achieve his level. Sometimes though, I just want to build up a lot of fill metal quickly and fuse it all together. If I pull out to a really long arc, everything gets real hot and I can fuse rods together quickly. I'm not welding rocket ships. Is this a valid technique, or am I going to go to hell for this sin?
so you're not welding rocket ships, fine. So what are you welding? I know you said 1/4" rods, but for what purpose? Generally speaking, a long arc will over-heat the base metals causing a much wider HAZ, which unfortunately weakens the metal. If that is something you can live with, you may as well have JB-weld'ed it. :)
jack_of_all
    Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:32 pm

This!

TIG is easier and cleaner than JBWeld.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

If it works for you then do it. Wouldn't do it on a critical weld though. No Hell for you :D If they have welding in Hell, I ain't going!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.