Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Suckback
    Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:44 am

Hi, just wondering if any of u guys have used this machine? Everywhere I read on the net seems like there has been lots of faults with this model! I'm from the uk and the models I've looked at one says it 115v-400v, another one I've seen says its 400v only! Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers Dan

Suckback wrote:Hi, just wondering if any of u guys have used this machine? Everywhere I read on the net seems like there has been lots of faults with this model! I'm from the uk and the models I've looked at one says it 115v-400v, another one I've seen says its 400v only! Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers Dan
Hey Dan here is a link to the owners manual on Millers site, should answer your question
http://www.millerwelds.com/service/loca ... mit=Search
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Dan, it's not unusual for the same model welder to be available in different input configurations.

As an example, we accidentally ordered a Millermatic 251 MIG machine in 240V single-phase only, when we needed switchable to operate on 480V single-phase.

On the same line, our Syncrowave 250s are switchable for several voltages, but are available in 240V only. The price difference is not significant, considering the savings of operating on the higher voltages over an extended time (in our shop setting, anyway).

Steve S
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Suckback wrote: I'm from the uk and the models I've looked at one says it 115v-400v, another one I've seen says its 400v only!
Different markets can also dictate varying input types.

The voltages and currents available on power connections in the USA are not always available in Europe and vice-versa.

Eg. in the US it doesn't seem to be too uncommon to find single-phase power connections of a high capacity (eg. 50A) or voltage (up to 480V?), but in many countries in europe this is uncommon and single phase connections usually top out around 32A/230V (at least for normal/comon installations, exceptions are possible), but often commonly used higher power equipment like welders or other machines quickly switch to 3-phase 400V connections which can be obtained in (much) higher amperage.

This difference in availability is also caused by some fundamental differences between how the US and EU power distribution networks are set up where the US tends to use a 'split single phase' distribution (aka. separate phases transported that can be combined if needed) while the EU countries are commonly using a 3-phase distribution based network (aka. always 3 phases transported and single phase connections are 'split' from those at the final stages where needed).

UK power distribution can be a bit of an oddball here as well with residential connections being wired/fed a little 'different' from the rest of europe.. (like so many things on the island :lol: )

This underlying distribution network makes 3-phase relatively 'easy' and common in many parts of Europe (eg. electric cookers are 3-phase in many cases) while it's more involved in the US and vice-versa getting a large capacity single-phase is easy on the US style network but puts an un-balanced single-phase load on EU style 3-phase power networks so it's not advised or needs more technical adaptation.

This difference reflects in the models of equipment sold in various markets worldwide so you probably won't find a machine that's single-phase 50A capable sold in europe as that type of connection is so uncommon.

You'd sooner see machines here that either work up to 230V/32A (or more commonly 16A for europe and 13A for the UK) single phase and then all bigger machines are usually 400V 3-phase up to serious amps..

Bye, Arno.