Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

nice
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

your welding looks great. I did not have any hand rest that's a good idea!
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Repairing a section of damage on a bottle machine...cut out bad section, fab new one with studs and then weld it all back in. 1/8" 316L Stainless
Attachments
IMG_20150824_203756460.jpg
IMG_20150824_203756460.jpg (33.45 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
IMG_20150824_203748618_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150824_203748618_HDR.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
IMG_20150824_214724029.jpg
IMG_20150824_214724029.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
CornerStone
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 am

Getting some welds done
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.06 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Rick_H

Did final clean up today...I love my Metabo burnishing tool
Attachments
IMG_20150825_152008867.jpg
IMG_20150825_152008867.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
IMG_20150825_152014759.jpg
IMG_20150825_152014759.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
IMG_20150825_200028780.jpg
IMG_20150825_200028780.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
IMG_20150825_200037083.jpg
IMG_20150825_200037083.jpg (27.03 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Just a beginner here, i'm having fun learning though. Awesome welds on this thread guys !
------------------------------------------------------------
Welded this corner joint yesterday, just cut up a bunch more practice scrap today.
StainlessWelds.jpg
StainlessWelds.jpg (60.28 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
304L_PracticeMaterial.jpg
304L_PracticeMaterial.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Sub -

Your practise scrap looks better than my project stock!

Kym

Thanks much Kym ! After watching Jody's vids for about 6 months I finally turned on my machine,
been using it about a month now. I practice after work 2nd shift, couple times a week, bout an hour or two.
The learning process is alotta fun...really lets me "decompress" too.
~Again, awesome welds in this thread and hats off to you guys !
-------------------------------------------
some practice from last week .
Alum_tooHot.jpg
Alum_tooHot.jpg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

Looking pretty good. Keep welding on it until it's completely covered with weld. Weld around the top edges of the tubes. Weld flat, vertical and horizontal all over it.
Freddie

My boss liked my aluminum pen holder so I decided to make him his own .
Made this last night, wasn't purged, just a chill block underneath.
-----------------------------------------------------------
PenCup.jpg
PenCup.jpg (80.99 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
Cup2.jpg
Cup2.jpg (75.48 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Suck Up :D

Looks very nice.
Freddie
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

That's a $10 raise right there. :D
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

33rd rule of aquisition... (yes, my "geek" is showing),

"It never hurts to suck up to the boss."

:lol: :mrgreen:

Steve S
DeepSouthWelder
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 am

Made a sculpture today for my grandparents, when I tried to post pictures it said the board attachment quota has been reached so I posted pictures in Welding Projects.
Instagram : natecreel1050_
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

We're still banging them out. Last night I treated myself to a shave, as it occurred to me that I had not seen my own face since last weekend. It's nice to come to this thread and see others getting to weld and nice work to all who keep on.

Here's the gist of what we are into currently. You would think I had enough of this welding stuff and yet to look at yet more welding on a forum dedicated to the subject.

Left handed and right handed. I wonder if they will even notice that we tried. lol No, it's not textbook, but the pace is intense. To get an idea, you can see the weld to the right where I was outrunning the shielding (the little black whiskers) and had to stop and think about wtf I was doing. My son set the stopwatch on his phone and timed it at two puddles per second and at times, heading for three. At this point, I am afraid if I throw down a noticeably nice weld, they would want them all like that. Admittedly, this is not just what I welded today, but from Tues till today and tomorrow is going to be a long one to add the remaining parts to these, which adds up to 120, machined parts by tomorrow evening.

Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to weld under that kind of pressure. Nice work.
Freddie

Hey all. Newbie welding here, the latest of my 'make useful stuff as you practise' episodes. Practise battery box for motorcycle. Box is 1.2mm mild steel. Using 40 amps, 70S6 filler (1.6mm) and 1.6mm 2 percent Lanthanated electrode. Fit up was rubbish in some places with gaps here and there because I wasn't being too serious about things, but lesson learned...if you want decent welding, do decent prep work.

By all means hit me with feedback/comments/abuse. I have thick skin!

Kym

MosquitoMoto wrote:Image

Hey all. Newbie welding here, the latest of my 'make useful stuff as you practise' episodes. Practise battery box for motorcycle. Box is 1.2mm mild steel. Using 40 amps, 70S6 filler (1.6mm) and 1.6mm 2 percent Lanthanated electrode. Fit up was rubbish in some places with gaps here and there because I wasn't being too serious about things, but lesson learned...if you want decent welding, do decent prep work.

By all means hit me with feedback/comments/abuse. I have thick skin!

Kym
Hey Kym
Looks like you're on a good path, you're right about the prep work, without proper prep the welding can be difficult. It's like many things in life, you need a good foundation.

Richard
Richard
Website
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Kym,
You've discovered some value in that overpriced Argon, a lesson in fit up.

One tip I can offer is to trap the Argon using small angles clamped to the box forming a trough, Aluminum foil, Aluminum tape, anything you can to keep the cover gas in the weld zone. An outside corner is one of the worst joint configurations for getting good gas coverage. I know this isn't all that important while practicing, but practice doing it right will lead to better results. That way you'll get to see the desired result.

Use an angle as a backer helps when you have a bad fit up to trap gas escaping through the open joint. Use a dissimilar metal so it does become part of the weld, copper works well with steel. You can also clamp it slightly away from the joint if you only have similar metal, again just trapping cover gas.

Keep a note pad handy and write down what works and more importantly, what doesn't. Become a student while you're practicing, it pays dividends.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:Kym,
You've discovered some value in that overpriced Argon, a lesson in fit up.

One tip I can offer is to trap the Argon using small angles clamped to the box forming a trough, Aluminum foil, Aluminum tape, anything you can to keep the cover gas in the weld zone. An outside corner is one of the worst joint configurations for getting good gas coverage. I know this isn't all that important while practicing, but practice doing it right will lead to better results. That way you'll get to see the desired result.

Use an angle as a backer helps when you have a bad fit up to trap gas escaping through the open joint. Use a dissimilar metal so it does become part of the weld, copper works well with steel. You can also clamp it slightly away from the joint if you only have similar metal, again just trapping cover gas.

Keep a note pad handy and write down what works and more importantly, what doesn't. Become a student while you're practicing, it pays dividends.

Len
Hey Len.

I really appreciate the tips. And yes, I take notes as I weld...writing is my 'real' job so I'm always scribbling down what works and what doesn't.

Your tip on using angle as backing is great. I normally use a big old hunk of angle I have but I recently picked up some welding magnets and was giving them a try. You're right, the angle backing is the way to go. I will try your tips with foil and tape, too. Great stuff.

Every time I weld I learn, and I love learning so this is such a great hobby. I picked up a TIG to do motorcycle alterations and repairs but I have to say that I am now well and truly hooked just for the sheer love of welding. I can't tell you how tragic my wife thinks this is, but she'll change her tune as soon as I weld her up a kettle bell rack!

Thanks again.

Kym

Kym,
Something to remember about magnets is that if you get them too hot they are no longer magnetic so just use them to tack then remove them. They also have an effect on the weld puddle itself if they're close to the weld zone.

You'll also not likely convince the little woman the economic value of owning a welder. She'll likely tell you that she could have bought that kettle rack at the kitchen store for a fraction of what you spent making it. As Otto's dad says, "There's only 2 ways to treat a woman and nobody knows either of them".

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

8-)
Thanks for that, Len!

I got a smile.
:D

Steve,
I've never stole a line yet that I didn't like. Even this one. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Len -

Yep, got that tip on magnets - just used them to tack. There's even a special term for the temperature at which magnets use their magnetism - I think maybe 'Curie temperature' or some such? Learned that last year when using heat to remove some of the magnets from a race bike flywheel.

As for the wife, two things; I've thus far convinced her that six motorcycles is okay, so maybe I'm in with a chance of convincing her on the welder. Also, the kettle bell rack isn't for the kitchen; my wife lift weights and kettle bells are part of her collection along with barbells and Dumbbells. So if I ever piss her off she can kick my arse.

So far I've avoided taking any beatings... :roll:

Kym
Rick_H

Otto Nobedder wrote:8-)
Thanks for that, Len!

I got a smile.
:D
I second that, needed that after a 14hr day...
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB