Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ChazMclean
    Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm

How often do you guys need more than 200 amps when you are TIG welding? I haven't run into it yet, but i continue to see screaming deals on older used transformer TIGs that would get me to 310-315A max. Thoughts?
joseph.mowery
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Watch the input power. Unless you are looking at the XMT line you will need most likely 100A of 240VAC or three phase power to run those machines. I will agree. Seen the XMT for less tban $1K. But, it is DC only.
ChazMclean
    Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm

The input power is not a problem, I can add a subpanel to the garage. Most of the older transformer machines need around 100A-125A wide open. The extra current would be for aluminum, so the XMT wouldn't work. I was thinking a syncrowave or lincoln squarewave. I also saw an Esab heliarc with a cooler for a good price, but i waited too long to grab it. I already have a 200A inverter (HTP Invertig 201) that I love, but i am not sure if i will need more than the 200A max when doing some thicker aluminum. This is just a hobby, so trying to justify the cost of a larger machine. (Like we need an excuse to buy more tools!). I just wanted others experience with running into needing more machine for welding at home.
Tritium
    Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:59 pm

You can extend the thickness range on aluminum through the use of a helium / argon mix without needing more power. See a recent video from Jody http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/alu ... elder.html

Thurmond
Truth is Truth even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.