Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

lol no thanks. he had them for $60 shipped at one point.
Mr. Moose
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:14 pm

When cdaven was making them for himself and his friends as a hobby, he charged $60 for them. When Radweldingsupplies.com started selling his cups and he increased production to meet demand, the prices went up to $129. That did not last long, and cdaven and Radwelding parted ways. I think that at $60 the time and materials costs do not leave enough to make it worth while to make them on a small scale basis. The Ti cup material and the delrin type insulator and threaded insert all have to be custom made, plus the labor to put it together, package and ship it. It might be that if one made 1000 at a time, there would be some better profit margin, but the demand may not be there, and then you'd have 500 of them sitting around.... I'm guessing that unless that issue is resolved, you'll be waiting a long time to buy one again if you're waiting for a new one.

Radwelding has his ceramic cups made in China or somewhere, but they are production made in bulk. He builds his diffusers, which appear to be custom made. He charges a premium because of the handwork, I think. The other large cups with good diffusers are also priced much higher than a standard setup.

If you want a large cup at a better price, several reputable manufacturers offer large cups based on the "large, stubby gas lens" configuration, that don't use the custom diffusers because the large gas lens provides essentially the same function and fully cover the large cups that go with them... I have Weldcraft brand versions with size 12 and 15 cups, as an example, which fit the 9/20 size torches. They also make them for the 17/26 air cooled torch versions. That setup can be had for $30 or less, including the large gas lens, the insulator, the collet, and the cup. They are a little bigger and thus don't fit every need, but the price is certainly better and the gas coverage is at least as good, if not better....
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Mr. Moose wrote:When cdaven was making them for himself and his friends as a hobby, he charged $60 for them. When Radweldingsupplies.com started selling his cups and he increased production to meet demand, the prices went up to $129. That did not last long, and cdaven and Radwelding parted ways. I think that at $60 the time and materials costs do not leave enough to make it worth while to make them on a small scale basis. The Ti cup material and the delrin type insulator and threaded insert all have to be custom made, plus the labor to put it together, package and ship it. It might be that if one made 1000 at a time, there would be some better profit margin, but the demand may not be there, and then you'd have 500 of them sitting around.... I'm guessing that unless that issue is resolved, you'll be waiting a long time to buy one again if you're waiting for a new one.

Radwelding has his ceramic cups made in China or somewhere, but they are production made in bulk. He builds his diffusers, which appear to be custom made. He charges a premium because of the handwork, I think. The other large cups with good diffusers are also priced much higher than a standard setup.

If you want a large cup at a better price, several reputable manufacturers offer large cups based on the "large, stubby gas lens" configuration, that don't use the custom diffusers because the large gas lens provides essentially the same function and fully cover the large cups that go with them... I have Weldcraft brand versions with size 12 and 15 cups, as an example, which fit the 9/20 size torches. They also make them for the 17/26 air cooled torch versions. That setup can be had for $30 or less, including the large gas lens, the insulator, the collet, and the cup. They are a little bigger and thus don't fit every need, but the price is certainly better and the gas coverage is at least as good, if not better....
totally agree. I have the CK large pyrex cup kit, but don't use it all the time, hardly even. I have standard #12 and #15 alumina nozzles with the large diameter collet body that would rather use, in order to keep the CK stuff pristine. They're a bit heavier than the small gas lens set-up, but it's not like it's a chunk of iron or mallory that would cause severe hand cramps, LOL. Even then the CK kit for one tunsten diameter is only $72 from HTP Weld.
gamble wrote:lol no thanks. he had them for $60 shipped at one point.
Don't even bother, get a large Pyrex cup kit from HTP. They have good customer service and great pricing.
turbo8u
    Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 am

From what I can tell, what ToxicFab did is watched Jodi's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... -mnZ2oyCxM) where Jodi gives the CNI part number, orders a box of them for 300$ then stamps out circular sintered wire mesh screens (probably from http://www.lawrencesinteredmetals.com/5 ... -wire-mesh)

and then sells them for an arm and a leg with his logo on it....

american dream

because you need to be asleep to believe it

I work aerospace TIG at precision castparts and have thousands upon thousands of successful xray welds with a setup just like this Jodi recommended years ago. I get away with far to much now but the secrets are all on the inside of the toolbox not on the internet.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

turbo8u wrote:From what I can tell, what ToxicFab did is watched Jodi's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... -mnZ2oyCxM) where Jodi gives the CNI part number, orders a box of them for 300$ then stamps out circular sintered wire mesh screens (probably from http://www.lawrencesinteredmetals.com/5 ... -wire-mesh)

and then sells them for an arm and a leg with his logo on it....

american dream

because you need to be asleep to believe it

I work aerospace TIG at precision castparts and have thousands upon thousands of successful xray welds with a setup just like this Jodi recommended years ago. I get away with far to much now but the secrets are all on the inside of the toolbox not on the internet.
Wait a minute. You're telling me I can MAKE my own gas lense kits?
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I think he's saying you can make your own oversized, overpriced, overhyped swimming pool sized ceramic cup. The problem is that it still won't make your welds look like Collin's.

But to your question, yes you can make your own gas lens, somebody made the first one and somebody's making them as we speak. Small lathe, some fine wire mesh and some spring steel wire and your on your way. Question that I have is, why would I do this when they're $3.64 from Weldfabulous.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Braehill wrote:Question that I have is, why would I do this when they're $3.64 from Weldfabulous.

Len
It's a problem I have. I'm a compulsive, serial DIY'er. It would be cool to have a lathe. I saw some folks turning their drill presses into one, but I think it was more for wood turning, where you use the tools in your hand.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press

nathan wrote: Wait a minute. You're telling me I can MAKE my own gas lense kits?
Sure, I did. You just have to have the cup size that you want.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=5331
turbo8u
    Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 am

no, the gas lens itself is a production part by various companies, the screen and cup are additional diffusers

turbo8u wrote:no, the gas lens itself is a production part by various companies, the screen and cup are additional diffusers
They just integrate the screen into the collet body. The mesh itself is what "lenses" the gas flow into a coherent screen.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

For the record, Chris is releasing another 100 cups to market in the next few days/weeks. I snagged one of the 3 he was offering pre-production run for a steal compared to what he/Collin was selling them for.

Also, for the record, he responded to my email message within 5 minutes
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-