Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

Hello folks,
My difficulties with welding aluminum today and some advice I just got on another thread led me to ask about what materials are acceptable for use as the top of a welding table. I don't have room for a dedicated welding table in my tiny garage so I got a 2 ft. x 2 ft. by 1/2" thick aluminum plate which I place on my shop bench. The plate has a 1" round by 2" tall piece of bar stock bolted to it for connecting the ground cable from the welder. Given the challenges I have experienced today with welding aluminum, I am worndering if my choice of materials is part of the problem with poor arc stability. I have been in several commercial welding shops in my area and I see aluminum plate being used as a welding surface. Would it be better to use a steel plate (susceptible to rust in my humid garage) of get a thin sheet of copper to lay on top of the aluminum plate. Thanks!!

I am working on an alternative for my tiny garage, I want to get rid of the furniture in our living room (aka unused room) and convert it into a shop. If you don't see me on the site anymore you'll know the plan was NOT approved.

Jim
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

NYWELDERJim wrote:
I am working on an alternative for my tiny garage, I want to get rid of the furniture in our living room (aka unused room) and convert it into a shop. If you don't see me on the site anymore you'll know the plan was NOT approved.

Jim
Good luck with that bit! We wish you all the best. If you are successful, be sure 'n tell us how
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Using the alum should not be an issue, it will actually help pull the heat out and act as a hink sink of you need it. However most use steel due to splatter and durability the alum will mark easy.

It will oxidize instead of rust like steel. I saw your other thread and I think you need to come up on the amperage harder and quicker.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
CanMoulder
    Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Wow i read that to my wife and she had the Sith Lord look of i would KILL YOU! :evil:
LOL

i have used aluminum plates with no problem but most tables at the company i work at are heavy plate steel.

:mrgreen:
NYWELDERJim

Thanks for the feedback. The shop expansion plan is not moving ahead. Today is day 1 of the silent treatment after suggesting my plan. I expected approval of this plan to be about as easy as TIG welding wood.

Jim
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Just play dumb....."what is it? Something I said?" and stick with that story. Lol.
NYWELDERJim

It did not help my case to show her a drawing of how I would arrange the equipment in the "living" room. I even offered to put only a few items among the existing furniture. The living room is clean, TIG welding is clean, why not? It is not like i was palnning on putting a water jet machine in there.

NYWELDERJim wrote:Hello folks,
My difficulties with welding aluminum today and some advice I just got on another thread led me to ask about what materials are acceptable for use as the top of a welding table. I don't have room for a dedicated welding table in my tiny garage so I got a 2 ft. x 2 ft. by 1/2" thick aluminum plate which I place on my shop bench. The plate has a 1" round by 2" tall piece of bar stock bolted to it for connecting the ground cable from the welder.

Jim
Hey Jim
We use Al also, just be sure to keep it clean otherwise you can get arc spots on what you're welding.
Richard
Website
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

HI NYWELDERJim,

When I purchased my first TIG welder, I also chose to use AL (6061-T6, 1/2"x30"x72") as my working surface. This very flat plate sits on a 12 ga. all steel work bench with adjustable height legs. For steel, I use a moveable work table with steel casters, a 3/4"x36"x36" steel top and 1/4"x3"x3" Angle supporting box frame. My Milwaukee chop saw sets on a step-down 2"x12" piece of steel channel where material slides in place across the work table which is level to the Chop Saw base top. Within the box frame there is a single shelf where I store my Miller Thunderbolt A/C welder.

Back to the TIG bench, if I need a heat sync surface I just clean the top with acetone then an orbital sander. If I do not want a heat sync then I can treat the top to have a heavy oxide layer using water and salt.

Wob :mrgreen:
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
NYWELDERJim

I am planning on spending a good amount of time practicing this weekend, I clean up the surface of the aluminum plate with a sander just before welding practice starts. Thanks,

Jim