Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AdVirMachina
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Actually, TrackRanger is much closer to what I'm building for my TA 251.

Irving, TX. Epicenter of the Metroplex!
AdVirMachina
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:42 pm

.... Than you would think. However, the raw PWM won't work correctly. I'm using a digital potentiometer also.

Irving, TX. Epicenter of the Metroplex!
cal50
    Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Miller SD 180 owner here...
Miller USE to make a pulse unit for this machine but discontinued it AFTER I picked up my machine.

You have a nice looking unit but final pricing is always the key.
Keep it basic / simple and priced right and you are in business.
WJH
  • WJH
    Fri May 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Guys, I am speaking from the "do it yourself" crowd mindset. Never said a home brew system would look anywhere as good as his unit, and certainly not be tested, packaged, engineered, AND supported like his product will be. I want to see his product do well.
With that said, a PWM signal with a few additional parts would do it, if one wanted to experiment. I say a few additional parts because I wonder myself what kind of signal is my TIG welder looking for on the foot pedal input? Might need a Relay, or a Digital to Analog converter, probably opto-isolation, Digital pot? Is it TTL level? If not, thats more complication.
I tend to over simplify things for a good reason, it allows you to understand how things work, the more complicated finer details are also easier to deal with, after you fully understand the basic principals.
WJH
  • WJH

soutthpaw wrote:
WJH wrote:Basically, I see an 8$ micro processor spitting out a PWM signal to control the foot pedal input. Emulating pulsing with the foot pedal with precision.
Interesting idea, one could do this with an Arduino and a few extra parts.
If it's so simple, why don't you make one yourself..... Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm sure the OP had thousands already invested in prototyping, I commend him for his creativity and American build and ingenuity.
I accept your challenge, however, some one has already beat me to it using an Arduino, qualifying my original statement..
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?30 ... th-Arduino
He even uses my same welder.
Last edited by WJH on Sun May 31, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
WJH
  • WJH

Jattus wrote:So I had another idea along with increasing the frequency... I was wondering if I could add a 2nd frequency setting on the display (e.g. "Hz 2") and this would basically add a second frequency only on the peaks of the generated wave. Here is an example illustrating this:

"A" Is how the wave typically looks, and "B" is with this 2nd high frequency (this would also work on the triangle and sawtooth wave forms). I was thinking that the benefit to this is that you can still get that tight arc, along with a slower pulse as well. Basically the best of both worlds. The only problem I see with it is the total duty cycle would be reduced significantly, and you would have to increase amperage to compensate... though this might not be a big deal. And I am running out of real-estate on the screen! haha. I could probably get away with 1 more setting and still have the graph decently visible.
I've done something similar to that just doing a bit bang method, emulating an IR remote control for my canon SLR camera, didn't even need to touch a PWM output
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Very nice idea :!:

One thing that may trip up this setup is if some machines have dampening/smoothing or noise reduction/supression circuitry on the pedal input that could cut off some frequencies or rates of change on the input signal.

That could limit the actual frequency range that's available in some cases. Hard to know beforehand though...

Bye, Arno.
Jattus
    Fri May 22, 2015 5:15 pm

I was able to experiment with different higher speed frequencies this weekend. I made a simple video below showing 10Hz, 20Hz, 30Hz, and 40Hz. At this time anything over 40Hz or so is not really feasible with this box and most auxiliary inputs on welders. I'm happy with it considering most people use pulse settings around 1Hz, or between 10Hz and 30Hz anyways (even though 500Hz and above would be cool... might be a future device).

I did this pulsing with 50% duty cycle, and 50% background amperage. Different weld profiles can be obtained by different combinations of settings... another popular one is to use 35% duty cycle with 35% background amps, and 30 Hz. I personally like 1.2Hz and 10Hz the best for general welding (especially on stainless exhaust manifolds).

ZOlGvC8IWAg
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Interesting you found 40 Hz as the limit.

I was experimenting with a digital foot controller that used pulse to increase and decrease current.
I was using a PIC processor and ran the output thru photo couplers to isolate the circuits from the welder. 40 Hz was about max I could run it at. Not fast enough going from 5-200 amps (one pulse equals one amp) as that is almost 5 seconds.

Good luck with your product.
jauguston
    Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Jattus,

I ordered your pulser yesterday. Just had a thought. Being as how it will be a early version as you do further development will a early unit such as mine be upgradeable?

Jim
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Wanted to throw up this quick link as I am testing a TIG Perfect for Jattus and can say I am throughly impressed! I will start a new thread in a week or two and a video on my YouTube channel with a full review but as of now I highly recommend the TIG Perfect to anyone that wants Dynasty features on that Diversion.
https://instagram.com/p/55w7fmDlZc/
-Jonathan
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Wanted to throw up this quick link as I am testing a TIG Perfect for Jattus and can say I am throughly impressed! I will start a new thread in a week or two and a video on my YouTube channel with a full review but as of now I highly recommend the TIG Perfect to anyone that wants Dynasty features on that Diversion.
https://instagram.com/p/55w7fmDlZc/
-Jonathan
So did the 40htz limit stay or was a solution found to exceed that?
jauguston
    Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Jattus,

I am beginning to learn the features and am liking them. One question. My screen goes black after 1.5-2 minutes of on time. The functions still work but no screen display. Is that normal?

Jim
Jattus

jauguston wrote:Jattus,

I am beginning to learn the features and am liking them. One question. My screen goes black after 1.5-2 minutes of on time. The functions still work but no screen display. Is that normal?

Jim
Hi Jim,
This is an intended feature. The screen fades to black (basically goes to sleep) but the device operates like normal. All you do is rotate the knob to wake the screen up if you want to change a setting, otherwise you can just weld away.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just an observation, but that's a pretty long lag in response time...

Five months? :shock:

Steve S
Jattus

Otto Nobedder wrote:Just an observation, but that's a pretty long lag in response time...

Five months? :shock:

Steve S
I realized I had already spoken to him over e-mail in the past anyways... figured I would clarify here in case anyone was wondering.
I also realized I need to check that "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox! haha oh man
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Pretty cool! I used to own a Diversion 180 and I would have bought this pulser from you. On a side note-that one video where you are pulsing between 10 and 40 pps is going to give someone a seizure. I'm with Jody either 1 pps or over 30 pps. Again, great product. Thanks John
austingtir

Double post..
Last edited by austingtir on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
austingtir

This is pretty cool wish I had seen it earlier.

I also wish the box was designed to pulse to 15khz!

Heres something I found for everyone to read I thought it was quite interesting.
https://www.ewm-group.com/en/component/ ... riant.html

Please note the travel speed they obtain at the settings outlined in the document!!! Also the frequency on arc force graph is very interesting and explains alot!!!!

EWM are selling 200-300amp machines now that all come standard with pulse to 15khz!
https://www.ewm-group.com/index.php?opt ... ct_id=1396

I would love to be able to try this for as cheap as this box is as I have no interest of paying 5k+ for a EWM for just that feature which I suspect is more of a robot production thing.

I notice some SS exhaust manufacturers in germany are using upto 60hz and argon/hydrogen mix gases to get their nice weld patterns on thin wall stainless steel exhausts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2MPV2WLek

If someone were to make a box that can add on to older machines like my kemppi mls2300 it will make it almost as good as the current machines without having to pay the extra money for the brand new machine!!
Jattus

Thanks for the compliments!

We are actually in the process of testing the TIG Perfect on several other machines using an adapter cable. So hopefully it works out and there will be a lot of other models available.
Advancedynamix
    Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Very cool product! All my machines have built in pulse, but I have passed up good deals before simply because the unit didn't have the pulse feature. I like that this can be kept in the truck and used on customers equipment that doesn't have a pulser. What can it adapt to so far? Does it only work on inverter power supplies? Sorry if you've already answered those questions before. I didn't read the entire thread.
Jattus

Advancedynamix wrote:Very cool product! All my machines have built in pulse, but I have passed up good deals before simply because the unit didn't have the pulse feature. I like that this can be kept in the truck and used on customers equipment that doesn't have a pulser. What can it adapt to so far? Does it only work on inverter power supplies? Sorry if you've already answered those questions before. I didn't read the entire thread.
So far we have adapted it to both inverter and transformer style welders. (we have a new design that is compatible with both now)
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Nice to hear any idea when it will be available for the Miller 351? Will the price remain the same?
vernd
    Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:48 pm

anyone have experience using the tig perfect with an old Lincoln square wave transformer machine?