Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Scottyfish wrote:ok thanks once again guys, ive gone backwards tonight...came home resharpened some tungsten, upped the gas to 20lpm i also changed the gas nozzle to a size 8.
After doing that i got a very stable but weak ark that seemed to just burn an oxide layer...no white smoke, no tip burn..but yeah no puddle. Tried re earthing the job itself but yeah...no go..
So i thought to myself maybe the HF points are dirty as the welders been on my garage floor for well over a year with no use..
i got a little 2400 grit and gave them a quick wipe over then a wipe down with acetone. put her all back together and now i have nothing..i get gas flow when i hit the foot pedal but no ark not even an attempt...if i touch the base material i get it stuck and a small spark...

I took the machine all apart and checked it over again but yeah i cant see any issue...i wonder if the HF gap is now to big? Its one that cant be adjusted like some of the ones ive seen on the net.. solid mount into the circut board with 2 prongs coming out with copper points.

Might be time to get it looked at..
20 LPM is really high - that's about 43 CFH
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Agreed. 20 CFH is reasonable. That equates roughly to 7 lpm.

Steve S
Scottyfish
    Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:00 am

Ok, spoke to the seller, ill send it back for him to check as I have had poor arcing from the get go. I did try on 5lpm,10,15 and 20 all with the same issue. maybe there is an issue with the HF circuit or the AC circuit.
I will check the gap of the points tonight as if that fixes the issue id be stoked

If not Ill ship it back up next week and see how it turns out.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Yes, looking back at the original photos, I presume that the machine doesn't self-start the arc when you hold the tungsten near (1/8") the job and pull the trigger. Does it do that, or are you initially touching the tungsten on the job to try to start the arc?
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Just for general knowledge, the conversion is 1 CFH = .472 lpm and 28.326 lph.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Scottyfish wrote:Ok, spoke to the seller, ill send it back for him to check as I have had poor arcing from the get go. I did try on 5lpm,10,15 and 20 all with the same issue. maybe there is an issue with the HF circuit or the AC circuit.
I will check the gap of the points tonight as if that fixes the issue id be stoked

If not Ill ship it back up next week and see how it turns out.
Hi Scottyfish

I'm interested to know if there was any update with the machine? Did it get sent back? Did you get any success yet?

Thanks
Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc