Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Just curious if anyone out there has used the trailblazer 275 for tig welding and how it compared to other tig machines. For a while now, going mobile, I've been using my syncrowave 180sd when I need to tig by plugging it into the trailblazer. Basically using it as a generator. I'm sick of lugging it around.
Last night I ordered an air cooled torch, with valve, 25' 2 piece cable and flow meter. I've got a few other machines around so I'll have a remote I can grab when needed.
Another question I have that seems stupid of me to even ask, is can I switch the polarity around ? I only ask because the machine is clearly marked for the tig lead to go on the electrode positive side where as most of the stuff I do is electrode negative.
Guess till I try it I won't know how, or what this machine will do, nor am I 100% sure of the best way, and most economical way to get the most out of it. I haven't had a need yet for doing aluminum on the road so not looking to spring for that right now.
I would however appreciate any helpful tips, tricks and information you may have to offer. THANKS Jack
angus
  • angus

I am assuming the 275 front panel is laid out with dcep on the left (facing the machine) then on the right side there are two negative poles. the second in from the right is a negative pole labeled; tig / wire / gouge. no difference, the outside pole is negative and for stick (ground), the stinger would connect to the positive pole.

take it from there. your tig torch would connect to the pole marked tig (negative), the ground would be on the positive pole.

go to 5.6 page 25 or 29 and all of your answers are there. you do know that this is a dc only machine.

from your description i thought you were using the new 275 .
Last edited by angus on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BWR
  • BWR
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Jack I have used a trailblazer to tig off of and it done good. When you turn the knob to tig its supposed to switches the polarity to dc-. We had a bunch of the trailblazers that were older and on them we just switched the leads around to dc- and left it on the stick setting. I tig off of a bobcat now to do steel and stainless and I have a diversion 180 I take out in the field if I have to do aluminum. A inverter based tig machine will normally do better than tiging off of a stick machine but I have made a pile of x-ray quality welds off a stick machine with no problem. I hope this helps.
-Brad-
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

WORK - TIG/STICK + WIRE+

That's how mine is laid out. Just now looking at a manual online, I caught something where the panel is printed a little differently than mine. Where mine says TIG/STICK + this one says Stick Electrode/Tig Work. So that solves that issue.
Thanks for the quick response.