Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

zank
exhaust is advertised as Ti 6-4, but i think
its just 5
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

The Joe we are referring to is titaniumJoe.com that Oscar posted earlier.

Grade 5 titanium is Ti-6Al-4V which means it contains a chemical composition of 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium

Most exhaust seems to be grade 2 cause it is easier to bend than grade 5
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
motox

dirt
what rod would you recommend?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
dirtmidget33

Depends on what it really is. You said it was advertised as Ti-6Al-4V if is really that then yes use grade 5 ERTi-5 or ERTi-23.(as suggested by Zank) If it is grade 2 then use ERTi-2. I don't know what your exhaust is made of for sure. Just found it odd you said it was advertised as 6-4 only because it's harder to form then grade 2.

If exhaust is currently in use that layer of carbon, oil residues, and unburnt hydrocarbons will introduce impurities into weld. You will have to clean inside of tubing to try and get rid of it. Welding on used exhaust tubing sucks period, so with it being titanium is gonna make it worse. I never welded on used titanium tubing but hated repairing stainless headers or ceramic coated headers. So have fun cleaning :D

An article on titanium with filler chart http://www.thefabricator.com/article/ar ... ium-tubing

Explains some titanium filler uses and chemical make up www.amfiller.com/assets/titanium.pdf
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

dirtmidget33 wrote:Depends on what it really is. You said it was advertised as Ti-6Al-4V if is really that then yes use grade 5 ERTi-5 or ERTi-23.(as suggested by Zank) If it is grade 2 then use ERTi-2. I don't know what your exhaust is made of for sure. Just found it odd you said it was advertised as 6-4 only because it's harder to form then grade 2.

If exhaust is currently in use that layer of carbon, oil residues, and unburnt hydrocarbons will introduce impurities into weld. You will have to clean inside of tubing to try and get rid of it. Welding on used exhaust tubing sucks period, so with it being titanium is gonna make it worse. I never welded on used titanium tubing but hated repairing stainless headers or ceramic coated headers. So have fun cleaning :D

An article on titanium with filler chart http://www.thefabricator.com/article/ar ... ium-tubing

Explains some titanium filler uses and chemical make up http://www.amfiller.com/assets/titanium.pdf
Most of the motorcycle exhaust pipes that I see that are titanium are pie cut (lobster tail, whatever you want to call it)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
motox

dirt
thanks for your help
craig
PRO CIRCUIT TI-6 TITANIUM EXHAUST SYSTEM |
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox

dirt
great article on welding ti
just hit the printer will read all later
thanks again for your expert import!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
dirtmidget33

Motox,
Thank you, but I am no expert. I just try to pass on the limited knowledge I know. I might not always be correct just go off what I learned from others or have done research on myself. So my answers I try to give are based off the best educated answer I can give sure there is better answers available by more knowledgeable people. I am always looking for better ways or methods. When possible I try to back my statement up with other information written by others. :idea:

Just my .02 on self-proclaimed experts.
Me personally I don't believe people when they claim they are experts. To be an expert means you know every possible variable about a particular subject. I find that totally impossible for any one person to achieve. :ugeek:
motox

dirt
sometimes just that fashion in which advise is given qualifies one
as an expert.
i do appreciate all the help and advise given here
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
cole5969
    Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:59 am

Howdy. I'm new to tigging and need a little help. Ya see it goes like this. A friend of mine gave me a tig torch that he hadn't used in six years. He showed me how to keep an arc and now its just practice practice practice. The thing is, I have no idea what size/model or whatever ya call it the thing is. Therefore I don't know what parts to order. If anyone can tell me how to tell the size/model,I would be very grateful. I do know that its a weldcraft but I have no idea where to look for the size/model number even if its on the darn thing.Otherwise I'll just have to get a brand new $300 torch.Thanks.
dirtmidget33

Look for numbers on it. Post pic of torch also remove collect body then take pic of collect threads along side of ruler to get diameter or place a 3/32 filler rod along side it, so we have a dimension comparison. you won't have to spend $300 bucks you can get high quality CK torch with superflex line from HTP for 100 to 150 depending on cable length you want.
cole5969

Thanks! I'll try to get the pics of it monday(its at work).I'm not sure that I can post the pics from my phone. I'll try though.P.S. I aint got no official filler rods,only straightened out coat hangers. They do good for practice.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

A coat hanger would be close enough to 3/32 in most instances man. As long as you don't weld with one on something important and wear a breathing mask to protect yourself from the junk they make them out of, you'll be alright lol. I would definitely recommend getting actual filler wire though, it would be a night and day difference.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
cole5969

I'll try to get some official filler rods. By the way, I'll start wearing that fume protection stuff. Didnt think that pure metal could emit toxic fumes. Now I'm a little concerned.
dirtmidget33

What GreinTime is referring to as for using a mask is, coat hangers could have any thing in them Zinc, cadmium, lead, sulphur, they are made out of junk metal. Only thing you can guarantee about a coat hanger is they are NOT PURE. Better take pic with a ruler in picture then.
cole5969

Yes sir. Like I said my camera isn't exactly hd. I guess it'll be fine as long as you can see the markings on the tape measure.
cole5969

Never mind about the torch. I just found out I can't do aluminum with my current setup. Now I'll have to pay for it myself and if I'm gone pay for it it's gone be a Lincoln Tig Squarewave and a Radnor M-200-R Modular Torch Kit. The torch I spoke of is a piece of junk.