Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
adrynalinjunkie
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Any recommendations for a new helmet for TIG with my HTP Invertig 221 ?

Right now I just have a Huntsman. Would you guys recommend trying a gold lens for it? I just have a standard black shade 10

My buddy does have one of these that is willing to let me test drive

http://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/spider ... 5-2||1|341
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Speedglas. 9100 or whatever the current model is. I use it at work. High end but so is your Tig.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I've used the HTP striker CSV, Optrel e680 and e684. All of them are awesome. I don't own the e680 anymore, but between the CSV and the e684, I can't give up either. The viewing window and clarity of the CSV is as good as anything out there, the Optrels show more colors, and the e684 with the self-adjusting shade level and twilight feature kicks butt.
adrynalinjunkie

Oscar wrote:I've used the HTP striker CSV, Optrel e680 and e684. All of them are awesome. I don't own the e680 anymore, but between the CSV and the e684, I can't give up either. The viewing window and clarity of the CSV is as good as anything out there, the Optrels show more colors, and the e684 with the self-adjusting shade level and twilight feature kicks butt.
So which one do you use more? The CSV or the e684 ?

I use the Optrel more, but only because the CSV is very sensitive to outdoor lighting conditions since I work outside. Perhaps I'm using a tad too much sensitivity setting, but I'm going by the instructions that say to increase sensitivity until it suddenly darkens, then dial it back only as much as needed for the lens to go back to light-state. I suppose this gives the best sensitivity for the sensors to pick up the tiniest arc, but if I turn my head in such a way that I'm facing a brighter source of ambient light, it darkens up before I want it to. It's not always a problem, but other than that, it's a great helmet. I'm sure in an indoors environment, this would likely be a non-issue. The lens has an amber/gold tint to it, and the clarity is up there with the best (as good as the Optrel e684 which cost me TWICE as much money), 1/1/1/1 rating for all categories. HTP also has a digital version as well, which I'm sure is just as awesome.
adrynalinjunkie

Well I just ordered the CSV since I am a "inside only" welder....

Thanks for the non-sales driven advice!

Cool. Did you get the older non-digital version, or do they only offer the digital version?
adrynalinjunkie

I just ordered the top of the line $159 CSV ...

The Digital is $15 cheaper and has the cool american flag graphics... but I wanted the CSV for the clarity
TwentyFourSeven
    Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm

If you are welding anything with the amps les than 60 i would opt for a Helmet that shades down lower than 9. My Lincoln only shades to 9 and I sometimes can not see when my foot is barley on the peddle doing thin stuff with 60 amps. Metal Man makes a cheap helmwt than shades down to 5
Lincoln Precision Tig 225
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The smart tigger by Jackson. Excellent clarity and price. Available on Amazon. If you like blue lenses, it's a great choice
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

soutthpaw wrote:The smart tigger by Jackson. Excellent clarity and price. Available on Amazon. If you like blue lenses, it's a great choice
I have the Jackson BH3, I really do like that helmet. I previously had a cheap helmet, so I don't have anything really to compare it to other than bargain model helmets. But I have had zero complaints about it, it's comfortable and easy to see. It's neat that sunlight doesn't trigger it, which is handy when welding outside. My old helmet would trigger off of sunlight shining off of some bright metal, kind of annoying sometimes.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

The smart tigger by Jackson. Excellent clarity and price. Available on Amazon. If you like blue lenses, it's a great choice
This. I have one and use it for MIG/TIG and Stick. I found a bargain on Amazon and got for around $100. I think they are around $140 right now. To me, the color and clarity is the same as the more expensive WH70 BH3
Multimatic 255
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I love my Jackson nexgen for tig. I like my speedglass but kept flashing myself as it only has 3 sensors. Jackson has 4 and is clear as day.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Actually, I saw someone had the new SavePhace helmets on sale for like $159 like the ones Rick_H and I (and Braehill and Superiorwelding now I think) bought.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

GreinTime wrote:Actually, I saw someone had the new SavePhace helmets on sale for like $159 like the ones Rick_H and I (and Braehill and Superiorwelding now I think) bought.
I actually bought the larger RFP for another guy at work, got it yesterday. Looks decent, haven't had a chance to weld with it yet. $176..... I am still happy with my EFP.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

adrynalinjunkie wrote:Any recommendations for a new helmet for TIG with my HTP Invertig 221 ?

Right now I just have a Huntsman. Would you guys recommend trying a gold lens for it? I just have a standard black shade 10

My buddy does have one of these that is willing to let me test drive

http://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/spider ... 5-2||1|341
I really like the ESAB 6-13 AD/XL. It has a great viewing area, and the clarity is amazing! You can actually see the blue spark come off the tungsten! When you are welding aluminum-ity remains silver-you just wait for it to turn shiny on the puddle, then start moving. Best hood I have for tig!
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

For my TIG use, I've got the Miller Elite

4 sensors, and large viewing area, multiple adjustable shade settings, suitable down to 5 Amps.

Wasn't cheap, but boy it's good.

Specs:
Viewing Area – 9.22 sq in. 3.85 x 2.38 sq. in (97 x 60 mm)
Four Arc Sensors – 1/ 20,000 sec. lens speed
Four Operating Modes –
Weld Mode - #8-13
Cut Mode - #5-8
Grind Mode – Light State #3.5
X-Mode – Can be used in Shades #8-13
Electromagnetic Arc Sensing eliminates: Sunlight interference - Outdoors, Low-Amperage Lens Opening - TIG, Lens Openings - Pipe/Curves, Obstructed Sensors - Hidden/Cavity Welds
Sensitivity and Delay Control - .10 – 1.0 sec
TIG Rating - 5 amps and below

2015-03-06_03-13-16.jpg
2015-03-06_03-13-16.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
2015-03-06_03-14-13.jpg
2015-03-06_03-14-13.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

agree miller elite is excellent just started using
my joker model.
very adjustable headed gear and screen
had to rig my magnifier to stay put.
maybe miller makes one that fits better.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Sal Monella
    Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:08 am

Fibermetal has a like of lightweight helmets that are competitive with Jackson Shadows but stiffer and with sweet headgear.
Jackson headgear isn't what It used to be IMHO.

I am 50 years old. Always used 11 for MIG, 12 for big sticks. Had 20/13 in one eye and 20/15 in the other, last test about ten years ago. Always took good care of my eyes, shade 5 for cutting, at least 10 for welding, safety glasses, back to the welder, dragging screens around, setting up blocks etc.
I suffered more flashburn from e-helmets than in the rest of my career. Now I can only weld with magnifiers.

Never again. Plus, when your e-helmet takes a dump in the field, I keep welding. You head off to find the nearest welding supply.

I know the i-pod guys are going to find this disturbing and need to correct my old fashioned viewpoint, I don't mind. If I save one of you from aging out of the trade early, it is worth the chit storm.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

motox wrote:agree miller elite is excellent just started using
my joker model.
very adjustable headed gear and screen
had to rig my magnifier to stay put.
maybe miller makes one that fits better.
craig
Miller makes a decent mag lens for the Digital elite...most of my counterparts at work have them. I think I'm the only welder with out a mag lens...lol
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

rick
lucky you!
i was good up till about 65.
im not sure where the mag a have came from but
I'm sure not miller.
i had to add 3m tape to the edges but it
still moves around some.
ill pick up the miller.
by the time i get it ill probably need a stronger one...
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Miller elites are good for tig.

Not much else in my opinion...
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Sal Monella wrote:Fibermetal has a like of lightweight helmets that are competitive with Jackson Shadows but stiffer and with sweet headgear.
Jackson headgear isn't what It used to be IMHO.

I am 50 years old. Always used 11 for MIG, 12 for big sticks. Had 20/13 in one eye and 20/15 in the other, last test about ten years ago. Always took good care of my eyes, shade 5 for cutting, at least 10 for welding, safety glasses, back to the welder, dragging screens around, setting up blocks etc.
I suffered more flashburn from e-helmets than in the rest of my career. Now I can only weld with magnifiers.

Never again. Plus, when your e-helmet takes a dump in the field, I keep welding. You head off to find the nearest welding supply.

I know the i-pod guys are going to find this disturbing and need to correct my old fashioned viewpoint, I don't mind. If I save one of you from aging out of the trade early, it is worth the chit storm.
Sal,
You do have a good point about a passive lens. I ALWAYS have a passive with me when I am doing work. I keep one at work, in the truck and in my welding bag in case I need it or just want it. Of course I like the auto lens for most of my work which is GMAW at work and GTAW in the garage. I still prefer a 11 gold for SMAW welding as I feel if gives better clarity than some of my auto lens'. I have a Speedglas that I have not tried yet on SMAW so I can't speak to how well it does.
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

And if you are working on HUGE jobs with like 2mm wire. Say, mining buckets, auto darkening filters can fail and simply stay dark because of the heat.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I would like to think everyone who welds keeps what works best for them. Like stated I love my nexgen for tig, but don't use for anything else. My speedglass is for stick/mig, also my fixed is for long lasting jobs or when I want a really big viewing area if tough to see. My fixed is another nexgen btw, their super light and nice, again jmo.