Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
adrynalinjunkie
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm

I want to try pulsing some Aluminum... the HTP manual for the quick start set up just says to set the AC Hz at 200 Hz..

Anybody have any other sugestions for pulse?

3/32" Tungsten sharpened to a point...

On Time..background current... PPS,.. balance,..etc on 1/8" flat bar 6061 lap and fillet welds?

Thanks in Advance!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You don't need pulse for 1/8" aluminum. If it was <16ga, then maybe, but no need to reduce the heat input on 0.125" aluminum. Pulse is not needed for everything. If anything it would probably deter your efforts because the longer you putz around on aluminum, the more it gets heat soaked and ruins the bead.
adrynalinjunkie
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Should I pre heat it?
Years ago when I was running beads on 1/4" my instructor would have me heat it to 250 first
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

It's all a balancing act. Can you weld hot and fast holding a consistent proper arc length to the work piece? Depending on the overall size of the piece you may not have to pre-heat it, especially if the answer to the previous question is "yes". The larger/thicker the part, the more pre-heat may be required, but there is no rule set in stone.