Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
adrynalinjunkie
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Whenever I watch Jody's vids it looks like he just runs the torch straight along and dips the rod....

I came from a old job were everyone used the 'lay wire" technique and would weave the torch back and forth free hand never removing the rod from the puddle...

I like the dipping to make my weld look better, but I just wonder if I should be weaving the torch a little freehand to help the bead width stay more even?
prdmetalworks
    Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Totally depends on the situation & size / appearance of bead you are looking for.
Usually for the lay wire technique, I find myself weaving the torch side to side or even walking the cup. For dipping, I generally hold steady on smaller beads, or pull back / up while trying to keep a tight arc if putting a lot of wire to it to keep the bead from building up & contaminating my tungsten.

I've seen Jody do the pull back technique in some of his video's as well & if your trying to keep a nice tight arc, you either pull back for the dip or get lots of practice sharpening tungsten.
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

^^ This be true!

I too have found that when you try and keep a tight arc you need to pull back on your torch slightly, or you get more practice grinding / touching up Tungsten

Adam